Monday, April 28, 2008

Rough on Huffington

On Friday evening we watched the season finale of Bill Maher's TV show, "Real Time". At this time of year, waving 'bye 'bye to Bill until summer's end has usually been a cause for regret. This year it's more a cause for relief. Bill, along with most of his carefully selected guests, climbed gleefully onto the Obama bandwagon some time back, jeering at Hillary Clinton and her supporters as it trundles past. One wheel is looking decidedly wobbly these days.

For this season's finale the panel consisted of comedian Garry Shandling (suffering from a damaged knee, pilled-up and waffling); Phil Donahue, a talk show host from years past, the sensible panel member who hardly got a word in edgewise; and lastly but loudly, Arianna Huffington.



I used to be a regular visitor to Arianna's Huffington Post website, before Obamamania infected it and gradually took over. Vitriolic Obama fanatics, writers and commenters, drove more level-headed regulars like me away. I credit Arianna's obvious antipathy towards Hillary Clinton for allowing the infection to spread. The site has become a rabid fan club rather than the purveyor of news from an independent liberal perspective, which it once was.

On Friday night Arianna didn't try to hide her feelings about Senator Clinton. I sensed though that Bill Maher's attitude towards Clinton had softened somewhat. He probably smells change in the air.

Arianna Huffington was born 15 July 1950 in Athens, Greece. According to Astrotheme time of birth was 3pm. Her dominant zodiac sign is Cancer, dominant planet Pluto, ruler of her Scorpio ascendant.



This lady should display clear Cancer and Scorpio traits. Perhaps the reason she finds Hillary Clinton so unacceptable is that they have some traits in common, maybe they are traits she secretly dislikes in herself. Their ascendants, if birthtimes are accurate, are but 3 Scorpio degrees away from each other.

Even more prominent in Arianna's natal chart is Cancer: Sun, Moon & Mercury all within a span of 5 degrees, with Uranus in that sign too. A whopping dollop of the Crab ! Cancer isn't a favourite sign of mine - it's my own rising sign. I find it annoying. My Aquarius and Aries bits don't get along well with Cancer at all.

In Arianna's case, Scorpio and Pluto mesh easily with her Cancerian side. That's a scarey combination in my book! Water water everywhere - as the saying goes - and not a drop to drink. Much too much of a good thing. Cancer and Scorpio mesh a little too well for comfort. There is potential for bringing forth a venomous, hurtful, emotionally charged hybrid.

It's sites such as Huffington Post (there are several others, just as bad and even worse) which offer a breeding ground for dangerous ideas. I noticed, among comments at the site, threats of riots at the Convention in Denver, should Barack Obama not be the Democratic party's nominee. A few bells may be ringing for those who remember the late 1960s. Let's hope that history does not repeat itself. If it does, a certain type of website will have played no small part.



"You say you want a revolution
Well you know
We'd all want to change the world
You tell me that it's evolution
Well you know
We'd all want to change the world
But when you talk about destruction
Don't you know that you can count me out
Don't you know it's gonna be alright

You say you got a real solution
Well you know
We'd all want to see the plan
You ask me for a contribution
Well you know
We're all doing what we can
But if you want money for people with minds that hate
All I can tell you is brother you have to wait
Don't you know it's gonna be alright

You say you'll change the constitution
Well you know
We'd all want to change your head
You tell me it's the institution
Well you know
You better free your mind instead
But if you go carrying pictures of Chairman Mao
You ain't going to make it with anyone anyhow
Don't you know know it's gonna be alright"

(written by John Lennon & Paul McCartney)

8 comments:

Pisces with a Cancer moon and Scorpio rising said...

Right on!

I know Maher personally and Huffington is the ONLY female he defers to. Synastry?

Love your work,
Linda Rose

Anonymous said...

John and Paul's song is as relevant today as it was in the sixties. I seem to remember that era was supposed to be about love and peace. Unfortunately, the violent types wouldn't leave it that way. I have no time for Huffington and seldom visit the site, or any other of these 'big name' political blogs. As for Bill Maher, like you I once enjoyed his comedy, but I'm afraid his support for the Israeli aggression against Palestinians began to to mar (maher?) his shows and I gave up on him.
If these people need to get into the political arena, they should choose a neutral stance and not become a media cheer leader for one candidate. That way, they might actually serve a purpose.

Twilight said...

Linda -
Hi! thanks for the visit, and your kind comment.

It seems Bill Maher likes that particular type of female - he's friendly with Ann Coulter too I think. He's been quite sexist recently though. It put me off him a lot.

Oh my! You've got the full set of water signs for your Big 3. I have them all too, but Jupiter in Pisces and Mars in Scorpio, so not as prominent. I credit Pisces with smoothing out any rough edges
:-)

( Adding you to my links )

Twilight said...

Hi RJ - we're in full agreement here! :-)

I don't dislike political satire, and I'm not averse to politicians being taken down a peg or two - or ten, even those I respect, but it ought to be done evenhandedly.

Bring back Spittin' Image!

Anonymous said...

Thanks -again - for your wonderful Blog - always interesting, unusual and intelligent. I love seeing your chart readings.

Twilight said...

Hi Adele

Thank you kindly - it's sweet of you to say so. :-)

Wisewebwoman said...

I'm with you, of course,T, on the Huffington/Bill Maher Obamabot Fest. Added to the ash-heap of Keith O, Michael Moore (sob)and Bob Parry.
I'm blogging from the road, dickie doo motel but it had high speed, I was stunned!!
Enjoy YOUR road trip and I did check out Shakespeare's Sister - great site, thanks!
XO
WWW

Twilight said...

I WWW -hope your journey is going to plan.

I'm on motel connection tonight - very slow and with hiccups. Still better than the TV !

Drive safe - 'see' you soon