Friday, April 18, 2008

April's Dark Days

There's something about this time of year that feels a little unsettling. I don't know what astrological factor , if any, might be involved because no two years have the same celestial configurations, other than Sun in the last degrees of Aries and first degrees of Taurus.

On 21 April 1996 I and my late partner lost everything we owned, except the few clothes we were wearing, my purse and our car, in a fire which consumed the apartment in which we'd lived for 24 years. On 23rd April 1992 my father died. Less personal tragedies occurred on 19 April 1995, the Oklahoma City bombing when 168 people, including children, died at the hands of home-grown terrorists, then the shootings at Columbine High School, Colorado on 20 April 1999, and just last year April 16 2007 was the date of the Virginia Tech. massacre when 32 people were killed by a gunman, fellow student of those he murdered.

I'm always glad to get over these few cuspy days, and a little deeper into the zodiac sign of Taurus which holds a much happier anniversary for me and himself - we married on 30 April 2004.

And another cheerful note - the humming birds are back! It's always good to welcome them to the feeder again after the winter. (Photos by the husband).



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi!
I've been lurking on your Blog for a while. Many a time I have been tempted to post a comment but was shy about it for various reasons. But today you were so much in sync with my thoughts I will. My mother, who died on April 7th, 2001 at age 90 used to often say, "I don't know why, but everything happens in April." I have had many momentous events happen in April as well but more good than bad so far. I have Aries ascendent so thought perhaps that might play a part. Just a note to thank you for this post and all your others - a true gem of a Blog.

Adele

Twilight said...

Hello Adele

Nice to meet you - thank you for your very kind comment.

I have Aries Moon and Saturn, so perhaps there's some connection with personal things seeming to cluster in April. The non-personal stuff is different though.
Seems like there's something in the air! Maybe Mars, Aries ruler having a last ditch attempt to cause chaos.

Thank you again for your comment.
I don't look on reading blogs like mine can be construed exactly as lurking.

I think most bloggers (apart from those big A-list political ones) write mainly for love of what they write about, and feel very flattered if others find what they write to be of interest. It's nice to get the occasional comment - very - but certainly not expected (by me). :-)

Anonymous said...

Twilight,
Very much enjoy your blog, too. It's so genuine. And it's refreshing to get a Brit, soon-to-be citizen's perspective on the political goings-on. You reminded me to get the hummingbird feeder out, too.

Twilight said...

Hello Molly - thank you for visiting, and your kind remarks.
The feeling is mutual!

Those political goings-on are getting to fever pitch now ! I'm expecting someone to blow a fuse any day. :-)

Wisewebwoman said...

Hi Friday, T.
Interesting about April, my mother died April 16th, 1971.
But my daughter was born on April 18th, 1967 - today is her birthday.
Always that juxtaposition of feeling around April for me.
Did you catch the so-called debate?
Sweet J. I saw bits only as I fear I'm going to blow a gasket pretty soon with the inanity of it all.
Here we are running out of food, water and oil and no plan B and we discuss LAPEL PINS. LAPEL PINS???
You can see why I don't post on these matters anymore. I could single-handedly start the US-Canada war...oh right, maybe it has already started......

Wisewebwoman said...

and oh those humming birds, thanks: himself.

Twilight said...

Hi WWW
More April anniversaries! Interesting.

Yes, we watched the debate. I thought it served as a practice-run for what the eventual nominee will have to face from the Republicans. We all know what the 2 candidates' policies are - or the textbook version of 'em for public consumption. They've parroted them oft enough. There's little to choose between 'em really, on that score.

I didn't share the outrage of Obama's supporters about "those" questions. I thought they needed an airing.

The flag pin one was a silly one, for sure. I shouted at Obama "Why don't you say you honour the flag but don't feel it necessary to wear jewellery to prove it?" But he waffled as usual. ;-)