Friday, June 27, 2008

PUMA - Reflection of Eris?

When dwarf planet Eris entered the astrological scene a couple of years ago I was cynical about the way some astrologers immediately began to use the symbolism of Greek and Roman myths associated with Eris, goddess of strife/striving, and discord, to interpret the planet's meaning. I felt much as astrologer Jack Fertig describes:

"I want to caution here that I don’t really hold with the notion that the name that astronomers give a planet necessarily defines it. Remember that according to the astronomers, Pluto and Eris aren’t even full fledged planets right now.

Uranus could have appropriately been named Prometheus, and I do think Bacchus would be a better name for Neptune. We relate a lot to the mythological gods through our experience of the planets, and we attribute a lot to Uranus that frankly had nothing to do with the Greek Myth. We also see a lot to Neptune that the Greeks and Romans didn’t. And it’s perfectly fine to update the myths to contemporary realities.
...........We are starting from scratch and can at least use the mythic Eris as a touchstone for beginning investigations."


The astrologer discusses possible rulerships and relates briefly the mytholgy of Eris.

That is just background to what I'm getting around to saying. I can see Eris mythology personified in a current (mainly)women's poltical movement in the USA. There's an article in the Washington Post today which explains it well.

Several blogs have sprung up in support of the movement, three which come immediately to mind are:

PUMA (Party Unity My Ass), at the Confluence

Just Say No Deal

I OwnMy Vote

These groups, made up of large numbers of disaffected Hillary Clinton supporters are now resisting the call to unify the Democratic party by supporting Barack Obama as nominee.

From Jack Fertig again (who surmises that Eris might rule Libra, odd as that might sound):

"But what I do see here with the so-called goddess of strife, is in fact striving, competition. I see her as an agent of group dynamics, how we define ourselves vis-à-vis others, not just as individuals but also as Libran team-mates, as members of a group within a larger group. At the wedding of Peleus and Thetis she introduced a competition that set off the Trojan War. But she’s only directly responsible for the competition; not the war!"

PUMA and associated groups are symbolically throwing an apple into the Democrats' wedding party, causing potential chaos. If events do not change current circumstances, and the groups remain strong in their intention: vote McCain, or a third party candidate, or stay home on November 4, chaos for the Democratic party might well ensue. That well worn phrase "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory" could once again prove to be apt.

More strength to PUMA! I'll enthusiastically join in once I get my vote.

Postscript: Last night I saw evidence that several PUMA-type blogs on Blogger have been locked out, "pending review", causing their owners to have to consider opening a blog elsewhere. (SEE HERE) This is thought to be the result of Obama supporters' mischief-making. Is this sort of thing likely to encourage unity?

If my page doesn't appear tomorrow, chances are not that I'm locked out due to the subject matter of this post, but that we have decided to stay overnight at a venue near to a Route 66 Festival we intend seeking out - but you never know....

4 comments:

Wisewebwoman said...

It ain't over till it's over, T, as we know!
Interesting aftermath of the HRC shutdown.
I've got a very slim hope she might make it to the ballot. It would be a miracle, but....
XO
WWW
PS Enjoy the night out with Himself...

Andrew McAllister said...

If you get locked out over this (or any other personal opinion) then we are all truly in trouble.

Thought you might like to know that I've started posting Dismaying Stories again. Drop by if you get a chance.

Twilight said...

WWW:
I'm trying to remain hopeful of a near miracle too - vain hope, I guess.

At least I've noticed recently that among the more level-headed Obama supporters there's a slow return to Earth occurring! The initial euphoria is drifting away as The Great O lets 'em down over things they hold dear. I'd love to say "I told you so" - but it's not time for that quite yet. ;-)

Twilight said...

Hello again Dr. Andrew! A voice from the past.

Yes indeed, we'd be in big trouble - they haven't found my little blog yet though, hidden away among the stargazers.

Thank you for letting me know about the return of your blog - I really did miss reading it while you've been on hiatus. I shall watch for something I can relate to astrology, then give it a mention in one of my posts. :-)

I'll add you to links also, I suspect some of my passing readers would enjoy your blog.