Monday, November 14, 2016

Music Monday ~ Sadly

We've lost two more genius song-writers/artists. They have left us with so many never-to-be forgotten wonderful songs, several have been featured here in the past, as well as a birthday post in Leonard Cohen's honour last year (see here.) There's an old post about Leon Russell, "Master of Space and Time" HERE. We saw Leon on stage in our town's theatre some years ago, he was an Okie by the way. I thought I'd blogged specifically about that, but so far have not found such a post, just a mention that we did see him perform in town.

Message to the Great Reaper: Enough now!! Go away for a while. Thanks.


This song by Leonard Cohen includes a valuable piece advice I often find myself remembering :

“Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.”




And this by Leon Russell will always be a favourite of mine:






Supermoon - November 14 - the full moon will appear larger than it has since the 1940s, 14 percent bigger in fact, and 30 percent brighter compared with the smallest full moons. She deserves a song in tribute.

Here's a lesser-known Moon song, it comes from Mike Batt's musical version of Lewis Carroll's The Hunting of the Snark:
As Long as the Moon Can Shine, sung by Art Garfunkel.



8 comments:

mike said...

The great passing is always difficult for the left behind and a constant reminder of our own inevitable journey into the unknown. I've often thought that if there is a hell, surely we are living it here on this Earth. It's a beautiful place, but we humans have peculiarities, which too often result in unnecessary pain and suffering for each other. Ironically, the joy and pleasures of life are side-by-side with the not so good. Leon Russell was one of my musical pleasures, so much so that I can play some of his songs in my brain...he imprinted my memory!

Twilight said...

mike ~ I remember you commenting, a while back after the death of someone we all admired, that you were beginning to feel like one of the "Left Behind". So many have left us during the past 18 months or so, I get the left behind feeling too. One by one the figures who have felt like living but ghostly friends travelling by my side, through the thicks and thins of my life have, one by one and sometimes two by two, disappeared to inhabit the true ghostly realms. Sad but inevitable.

Kaleymorris said...

Isn't Leon's song exquisite?
Leon had been in poor health for so very long. I am comforted by the notion that all of that is over for him.

mike (again) said...

We lost another on the who's who list today. Gwen Ifill, journalist, editor, author, and occasional moderator, known best for PBS' "News Hour". I had great respect for her and her professionalism, as she was one of the few remaining true journalists in the news media.

Part of the gift of ageing is an increasing sense of being left behind. I had a premature introduction, due to HIV-AIDS consuming many of my friends and acquaintances starting in my 30s onward. I often see on the news the effects of war, ravaging entire families and communities where only a handful of survivors remain. Sometimes, it may seem better to go with the casualties than to remain. Then the skies clear and better days are ahead.

mike (again) said...

Did you see that Keith Ellison is soliciting the DNC Chair position? He'd be a breath of fresh air! He has received some major endorsements including Bernie's. I knew nothing of him until now.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Ellison

Twilight said...

Kaleymorris ~ Yes, it is; and yes, his last months must have been a struggle - at peace now though.

Twilight said...

mike (again) ~ Yes, another sad loss - I knew Ms Ifill only through her moderation of debates at election time, but admired her in that role . Gone far too soon. RIP.

We travel the road that's left to us, and usually, gradually, discover new fellow-travellers. That's life... as the Sinatra song goes. :-)

I did see the news about Keith Ellison/DNC chair position. Looks as though there's a plan afoot to refurbish the Democratic Party - and not before time, fresh blood and some fresh air sorely needed.

I saw the last few mins. of Bernie chatting to Stephen Colbert on the Late Show tonight - plugging his book...lol! Nice to see him again looking none the worse for his strenuous campaign efforts. Today, I happened across a very brief clip from a 2008 debate Hillary and Obama, was quite surprised at how much they both have changed, looks-wise in 8 years. Obama then looked like a fresh-faced college graduate! Hillary much younger-looking, slimmer (aren't we all?). :-/

mike (again) said...

Bernie Sanders was on Charlie Rose's show last night, but I can't find it on Rose's site. He usually posts current interviews a day later, so it should be there sometime today or tomorrow. It was interesting and Bernie seemed a bit testy with several of Rose's questions.