Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Apt Poem & Back Soon

I'll be off-blog for the rest of the week. We're intending, if enthusiasm survives, to go peeping at autumn leaves in some nearby areas before they all, finally, descend. Should enthusiasm not survive, I shall content myself by contemplating my own navel for a day or two.

Here's a rather apt poem for right now, by John Haines (more on him here).





The Last Election

Suppose there are no returns,
and the candidates, one
by one, drop off in the polls,
as the voters turn away,
each to his inner persuasion.

The front-runners, the dark horses,
begin to look elsewhere,
and even the President admits
he has nothing new to say;
it is best to be silent now.

No more conventions, no donors,
no more hats in the ring;
no ghost-written speeches,
no promises we always knew
were never meant to be kept.

And something like the truth,
or what we knew by that name –
that for which no corporate
sponsor was ever offered –
takes hold of the public mind.

Each subdued and thoughtful
citizen closes his door, turns
off the news. He opens a book,
speaks quietly to his children,
begins to live once more.

6 comments:

mike said...

I guess I'm not subdued and-or thoughtful:
"...Each subdued and thoughtful
citizen closes his door, turns
off the news. He opens a book,
speaks quietly to his children,
begins to live once more."

I'm working on acceptance. The election is a done deal.

Your luke-warm acceptance of the Trump victory was a bit at odds with anyjazz' revulsion, so I'm glad to know the two of you are amenable to a road trip and the divorce was called-off...LOL.

I'm sure you looked at the weather forecast, but I'll remind you that a strong cold front is arriving here Friday, so you'll probably have it Thursday evening. We'll be in the low 50s overnight for a day or two, and low 70s daytime. Can't wait. We were 90* yesterday and upper 80s today.

!Hasta luego!

Twilight said...

mike ~ Done deal - yes. I'm content to wait, with some trepidation, until the prez-elect gets to the White House and actually starts doing stuff. We can't change anything now, so there is little point in weeping, wailing or feeling angry and depressed. I'm a bit disgusted with the way media and some bloggers and websites are treating it all - at this early stage, scaring people silly.

Anyjazz has never been as politically engaged as I am; he's a registered Democrat who still feels his umbilical cord tied to that weak-kneed, lily-livered, money-grubbing party. He supported Bernie, as I did, but that wasn't to be. I'm registered Independent - knew I would have to be within weeks of arriving here. We agree on most things basically, but not in intensity.

Anyjazz also determines that he is not going to worry unduly about anything political from now on. We both have limited time ahead of us, no point in spoiling it. I agree that is sensible, and do temper my political commentary at home. ;-)

Yes weather likely to be mixed - warm today and tomorrow then cold by weekend. Must stash most contents of closet onto back seat of car so's to be ready for all eventualities.

I hope your visit to the doc tomorrow goes well, mike. :-)
Later.....

Bob said...

As Chester A. Riley wisely said, "What a revoltin' development this is!".

Twilight said...

Bob ~ We'll see how it develops, maybe the peasants will revolt too. ;-)

Bob said...

http://imgur.com/a/JrmiD


The charts for the 20 eclipses during Jan 20, 2017 through Jan 20 2021 located to the White House.

After the album has loaded scroll to the bottom, click on the 3 dots to the right, click on "Download Post". The album will be downloaded in a zip file. Right click it and click on "Extract All". The charts will be opened with funny names but I have numbered them in the order in which they occur. Just right click on them and rename them to something you will recognize like the month , date, and year maybe ( Feb 10 17 ).

R J Adams said...

Enjoy your break, Twilight. What will be, will be - or so they say! The word 'They' can cover a multitude of anonymity but it's served us humans well for generations. "Go to sleep or 'they'll' come and get you!" my old grandmother used to say when I was a kid at bedtime. "Who's they, Granny?" "Never you mind," she'd respond, "You'll find out if you don't go to sleep."
Lovely woman, my Granny.
;-)