Saturday, September 22, 2007

Lifting Spirits

I wonder what astrologers do when in need of a lift out of the doldrums? We ordinary mortals often reach for the chocolate, the apple pie, ice cream, or the bottle of Scotch.

I'm not insinuating that astrologers aren't ordinary mortals, of course, perish the thought! But they are in a position to know more about themselves and the future, and their future than the average woman and man on the street. So do they have an antidote for the blues?

I ask because each time I pick up a newspaper or read articles and comments on current events on-line I feel despairing, desolate and downright depressed. I don't ever remember a time in my adult life when it was worse than this, either here or when I lived in the UK. According to HeWhoKnows, it's now just about the worst he can remember in the USA too.

So what can astrology offer as a pick-me-up of the non-fattening , non-inebriating kind?

I guess the best answer from me, as a non-astrologer but a woman on the street, (if you know what I mean), with a little knowledge of the subject, would be: "Nothing stays the same for long, everything changes. Just as the planets move in regular cycles, so does life. A bad patch is followed by a good patch, and vice-versa. Some patches take longer than others to give way to the next stage - these are what we call "the bad times" and "the good times". Enjoy the latter while you can and during the former resign yourself to putting on weight and drinking more than you should".

Apple pie anyone?

There's something else capable of lifting spirits - SING! Or whistle - also known as whistling in the dark, or whistling down the wind. Speaking of which, here's an audio-visual aid I made earlier. This one always gets me "nibby nabby nooby-ing"

3 comments:

The Current said...

Thanks. I've always liked that song and how it makes me feel, too. Another one I never grow tired of is "Dancing in the Moonlight," by King Harvest.
I thought it was just me who had such a dark outlook. I don't know if it's comforting, though, to know others feel that way, too.

Twilight said...

Hi Karen

Yes, I remember Dancing in the Moonlight - nice one. I haven't heard it for a long time though.

It IS, in one way, comforting that others share my feeling about the current state of things, at least that confirms I'm not too bad a judge. In a way though it would be better if I was out of step and others didn't feel the same - then, at least it might tell me that I'm wrong and things are really hunky-dory. :-) :-(

King Harvest said...

Thanks for the great comments on Dancing in the Moonlight. Just to let you know, we are all alive and well and have a page at http://www.myspace.com/kingharvest

All the best.

King Harvest