Saturday, September 15, 2007

Frida Kahlo - Her Art and Her Pain

Frida Kahlo was not a happy woman, it seeps through her paintings. Heck - it yells from them! She had good reason to be unhappy. She suffered from polio as a child, then from horrific injuries as a result of a 'bus accident in her teenage years. These injuries precluded her from bearing children, as well as leaving her with painful spinal problems. She married Diego Rivera, another artist, many years her senior. Her marriage was tumultuous, with infidelity both heterosexual and lesbian. It's hardly surprising that her paintings are not filled with joy.

Frida died in 1954, she had lost one leg to gangrene, suffered pneumonia, and was in frail health. The official cause of death was given as pulmonary embolism, though some suspected that she had died from overdose that may or may not have been accidental. (Information from Wikipedia).

Frida Kahlo was born on 6 July 1907 in Coyoacan, Mexico.Time of birth is given as 8.30am at StarIQ.


Leo ascendant, Cancer Sun and Taurus Moon. Neptune lies within a degree of her Sun. Pluto and Venus are within a degree of each other in Gemini. Mars is 3 degrees from Uranus in Capricorn. Neptune/Sun opposed by Mars/Uranus, and a Pluto/Venus conjunction looks, to me, a very challenging configuration!

It was a blessing that she found some release for her pain and frustration through her surreal paintings.

Astrologer Nick Best wrote an article, a few years ago, about Frida Kahlo and the actress who played her in a movie biography, Salma Hyek. "Two Peas In a Pod or Saturn in Pisces" appears at Star IQ . Natal charts for both Frida and Salma are included, with a comparison of the two. Nick Best points out that in both charts Saturn lies at the same degree of Pisces. I noticed that the general shape of the two charts is quite similar.

Once again (as in the cases of Ed Harris/Jackson Pollock and Kirk Douglas/ Van Gogh) here's astrology linking artist and actor.



Website for more illustrations and further information on Frida Kahlo.

4 comments:

astrevolution said...

It's strange because I have just met a girl at a party and everybody was wondering her look alike so when I said: "Frida Kahlo" they all confirmed it was her. Then I kind of met Frida Kahlo last week...I found her very agressive: Sun in aries (Frida Kahlo has Sun opp Mars). This girl was a psychologist and was against astrologers...she nearly hit me...Frida Khalo suffered a lot but I am pretty sure she was as agressive as this girl.
Anyway thanks for this article very interesting.
best wishes
Monica

Twilight said...

Hi Monica

Goodness me! Mars opp Pluto must have been stirring up that psychologist !

Yes, I agree, Frida Kahlo was definitely anger-driven. I suppose it was the only way she could cope with her difficulties and disappointments.

Rog said...

Frida was my first test case in which I tried to determine birth time by observing expressive seeming works. My chosen peice for comparison indicated a birth time of 8:30 AM. This occured some years ago, and her birth time was not available on the web, but after the movie, "Frida" came out, her popularity brought out the birth certificate chasers like Lois Rodden of Astrodata.com. It was very exciting for me to see that my comparison 'works'...:)
illustration:
http://pedantus.free.fr/Kahlo_F_01a.gif

Rog

Twilight said...

Rog

Hi - Very impressive! As I've said in my response to another comment of yours in a later post, I think there's some psychic insight going on here!