Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Astrology in Latin


I found myself looking at a list of Latin phrases yesterday, and it struck me that some of these could be said to belong to the signs of the zodiac. Sifting through them I came up with the following list (some tongue in cheek, others serious).


ARIES
Primus inter pares - First among equals
Ex tempore - Off the cuff, without preparation


TAURUS
Consuetudinis magna vis est - The force of habit is great. (Cicero)
Difficile est longum subito deponere amorem - It is difficult to suddenly give up a long love. (Catullus)


GEMINI
Audio, video, disco - I hear, I see, I learn
Facilius est multa facere quam diu - It is easier to do many things than to do one for a long time. (Quintilianus)


CANCER
Veni, Vidi, volo in domum redire - I came, I saw, I want to go home
Est queadam fiere voluptas - There is a certain pleasure in weeping. (Ovid)


LEO
Magister mundi sum! - I am the master of the universe!
Veni, Vidi, Visa - I Came, I Saw, I Shopped


VIRGO
Mens sana in corpore sano - A sound mind in a sound body. (Juvenalis)
Abutebaris modo subjunctivo denuo - You've been misusing the subjunctive again


LIBRA
Pro et contra - For and against
Audiatur et altera pars! - Let us hear the opposite side!


SCORPIO
Nemo me impune lacessit - No one provokes me with impunity. (motto of the Kings of Scotland)

Corruptio optimi pessima - Corruption of the best is worst


SAGITTARIUS
Primum viveri deinde philosophari - Live before you philosophize, or Leap before you look
O diem praeclarum! - Oh, what a beautiful day
Auget largiendo - He increases by giving liberally


CAPRICORN
Pecvniate obedivnt omnia - All things obey money.
Labor omnia vincit - Work conquers all things. (Virgil)


AQUARIUS
Mens sibi conscia recti - A mind conscious of its rectitude
Omne ignotum pro magnifico est - We have great notions of everything unknown. (Tacitus)
Vox populi - The voice of the people


PISCES
Pulvis et umbra sumus - We are dust and shadow. (Horace)
Poeta nascitur, non fit - The poet is born, not made
Credo quia absurdum - I believe it because it is absurd. (contrary to reason) (Tertullian)

No comments: