Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Prompted to imagine......

An old Plinky Prompt inspired this bit of nonsense yesterday. Maybe it'll inspire some passing reader to contribute their own response to the prompt.

Plinky Prompt
Fiction writers: You’re stuck in an elevator with an intriguing stranger. Write this scene. Non-fiction writers: You’re stuck in an elevator with a person from your past. Write this scene.

I chose non-fiction, with a hint of fiction thrown in.

As I waited for the elevator to descend, standing alone in the glass "cage" a late-comer hurried in. An elderly man, thinning white hair neatly styled, designer spectacles, conservatively dressed, but with a touch of flair - a camel-coloured coat thrown casually about his shoulders over a dark suit. He looked faintly familiar, but I couldn't quite pinpoint why. He glanced in my direction, took in my casual jacket and dark jeans, my own greying hair and spectacles, looked away, then glanced across again.

"Did we meet before?" He had the trace of an accent, and a hint of breathlessness when he spoke.

The lift was refusing to respond to the "Down" button. I'd pressed it again and again. A few seconds, minute, or what seemed like five, passed.

"I don't think so, but...I wonder if maybe you remind me (and I you) of someone we knew decades ago, in England?"

An unwelcome thought and painful memories had obviously visited us both.

Another quick glance at one another, as both inwardly willed the elevator to move, so that this uncomfortable situation could end quickly.

"Did you, long, long ago, as a young man ever work in the English Lake District?", I asked.

He felt for the wall of the elevator, leaned back, somewhat shaken.

"I did".

"So did I, I believe we met there. The rest is some rather unpleasant history involving a brief marriage and long-winded divorce."

"Ann?"

"Valentino?"

Possibly the only harmony we had ever, and would ever, achieve came in that one chorus of realisation: "Yes!"

"What are you doing in the USA?", I ventured.

"Looking for my daughter."

" And you?"

"I live here now, married to an American".

The elevator, mercifully, began to move rather jerkily downward. Expressions of relief settled on both faces.

As the elevator landed in the hotel foyer, he nodded, turned and hurried off. I called after him,

"I hope you find her".


And that was that.

9 comments:

mike said...

Well, I think that Ann was bonked in the kip by Valentino after his chat-up on their fated lunch break at the chippy those decades ago. He might have been looking for his daughter, but Ann kept the one-off of the twins to herself, and Bob's your uncle.

Twilight said...

mike ~ Not laughing...sorry Still can't laugh about anything relating to those years.

I'd hoped you'd regale us with a fact or fiction tale of your own. :-/

mike (again) said...

Sorry...thought this was fiction...didn't intend to strike a raw nerve.

Twilight said...

mike (again) ~ It's ok it was part fact part fiction...I was feeling a bit fragile this morning.

(Off topic)Had to go to see Doc - follow up re a routine blood test last week plus he to see my foot again, and hear my tale of woe re anti-bios etc.

Have to go back 8 Dec after trying some new prescription items which I haven't yet been to collect. Not sure what they are. He said that, as the remaining problem is more skin than wound-related we'll try "something else" before launching me to the Wound Center and its bariatic pressure thingie - which I suspect I'd not be entitled to anyway...unless perhaps he has some influence there, and insisted.

mike (again) said...

I previously commented that I had a chronic, non-treatable case of nummular dermatitis. I had wounds that covered the entire front of each leg, from the knee to the ankle that were intensely itchy, but extremely painful when scratched. I tried a number of medical treatments including Elidel 1% cream that was exorbitantly expensive...nothing worked. I came across several articles about ayurvedic medicine and curcumin (turmeric extract) was cited as a treatment for most skin disorders. Tried it and within a month both legs were so much better...took about four months to resolve. I quit after six months only to have the dermatitis return...started the curcumin again and no more dermatitis. If your medical treatments fail, try curcumin. It has been shown to be beneficial for many disorders, not just skin problems.

There is a correlation of nummular dermatitis and sinus problems, including allergies. There are several skin disorders that correlate to sinus concerns.

mike (again) said...

And, I'll repeat myself on castor oil, too! Castor oil is unique in nature as it is 90% ricinoleic fatty acids, which isn't found in any other oils. It serves as a fine moisture barrier for dry skin and is an old remedy for various skin disorders including infections.

"Some people apply castor seed paste to the skin as a poultice for inflammatory skin disorders, boils, carbuncles, pockets of infection (abscesses), inflammation of the middle ear, and migraine headaches.

Castor oil is used topically to soften skin, bunions and corns; and to dissolve cysts, growths, and warts. It is also applied to the skin for osteoarthritis."
http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-897-CASTOR.aspx?activeIngredientId=897&activeIngredientName=CASTOR

"The triglyceride fatty acids within the oil such as ricinoleic acid is well known for its antimicrobial action. Therefore, this makes it powerful against skin infections such as eczema, dermatitis, and skin rashes. Even people who are suffering from skin inflammation, irritation and itching are generally advised to apply some of the oil to the skin to ease the discomfort. It is even known to be effective against ringworms and fungal infections present in the fingers and toes. For skin diseases, a cloth soaked in castor oil is wrapped around the affected area and left overnight."
http://www.castoroilhome.com/castor-oil-for-skin

Castor oil is very cheap and is usually found in the laxative section in drugstores.

Twilight said...

mike (again) ~ Thanks for the recommendations. I shall definitely keep them in mind and come back to your comments if what the Doc prescribed isn't helping in a few days.

The three new items are: tablets which are said to widen arteries that supply blood to the legs and improve circulation by keeping platelets in the blood from sticking together and clotting. (1 twice a day.)

Some corticosteroid cream for the inflammation/rash on my foot - 3 times a day.

And some iron tablets - I bet the anti-bios and anti fungals had leeched iron out of me, which would account for at least some of the way I felt a couple of weeks ago.

So, it's onward once more, trying to get back to what I call normality, hoping side effects stay away from my door this time.
:-)


R J Adams said...

Not at all bad. You really should work more in the direction of serious writing. (Says me, who'd virtually given it up these days!)

Twilight said...

RJ Adams ~ It's kind of you to say so. I enjoy playing around with bits and pieces - the above came off the top of my head in about 10 minutes flat, so I decided to post it. My internet-encouraged attention deficit disorder kicks in, if I contemplate anything more than playing around with the odd idea and a few paragraphs. Maybe in my next life I'll get around to taking a class or two in creative writing, after I've been a lawyer, a fine arts expert and....maybe somebody's dog or goldfish.
;-)