Thursday, June 06, 2019

BRAINWAVES

Apropos of nothing at all, husband "Anyjazz" came up with the following the other day, so I have taken the liberty of borrowing it.

Many years ago I read a piece about intuition and premonition that made a lot of sense. It basically said that the brain is working all the time, collecting things. The background sounds and changes in color and temperature, movements of things around it and general details that are of little or no use to the person at the time, are none-the-less stored in the memory in a just-in-case file. We don’t realize the brain is doing that for us but running our body and consciousness is only a small task for it, so it gets bored and collects things.

The writer said that this collection of details may be at least part of things like déjà vu, clairvoyance, premonition and what we call intuition. We are unaware of it, but the brain knows. Sometimes it realizes it can be a help, and slips in a few details of knowledge we didn’t know we had. We don’t know where it originated.

Think of those crime stories where a witness is placed under hypnosis to reveal details they were unable to call up for themselves. The details were there, the witness just didn’t know it.

There are stories of people who made hard choices based on “gut feeling” or “what was in the heart", or whatever the popular phrase is now. Then it turns out the choice was right, in the face of all the opposition. The brain knew and gave them subtle advice.

Imagination is probably supplemented by these sub consciously collected details. A child is particularly good at it because a child’s brain is collecting things at an enormous rate. The child has no idea of the meaning of most of the world around it but the brain stores everything anyway.

Many dreams may be like this too. During sleep, when duties are at a minimum, the brain is at least, partly awake. So, it plays. It assembles interesting things and plays with them, based on what it knows. Sometimes it brings out some of those things it collected that you ignored or missed at the time.

Wish I had kept the article.

4 comments:

Wisewebwoman said...

Yes, it validates a lot of how I think about this. I am amazed at the trivia I recall from teenage and childhood years, a massive collection of unrelated data. Given the luxury of time in my elder years I run some instances like a movie. The colour of my mother's dress in 1950, the moment when she basically effed it and wore beige linen trousers for the first time, my father's advancing bald spot, etc.

Is it only in elder years we get this luxury? I suspect so.

What losses those early deaths unknowingly endured.

XO
WWW

anyjazz said...

And another item I remember: the brain regulates the amount of emotional pain and sorrow that it feels you can stand. For example, after the death of someone close, the brain filters and parcels out the amount of grief you should have, over days, months and even years. Sometimes the grief is held until finally, a person may have a depressed mood or a sad day and not even know the cause. A distracted day, a fuzzy afternoon or a bad night may just be a last bit of grief released by the brain.

Twilight said...

Wisewebwoman ~ Yes, I agree that in our senior years, with more leisure and lots of archived memory to play with, this phenomenon does tend to come more to the fore. I, too. remember my mother's clothes; the layout of my earliest bedrooms; and lots of other detail one might expect to have faded with time.

Twilight said...

anyjazz ~ I recall your telling me about that in the past, and it's something I experienced myself during my first year or so here in the USA. Also, I've always suspected that intuition is partly (maybe even wholly) the result of an innate yet inadvertent ability to observe - events or people - with an almost microscopic intensity.