Friday, April 19, 2019

EASTER

Here in the USA, Christmas still seems like Christmas did in the UK (and then some!) Easter doesn't feel the same as it did in the UK.

In England, especially during my quarter century in the civil service, we'd look forward to a welcome Easter break when our office ran on skeleton staff from mid-day on Maundy Thursday to Good Friday around 4pm - then office closed until the Tuesday after Easter Monday - even on Tuesday we'd have a quiet day, because in Leeds most solicitors' offices were traditionally closed on Easter Tuesday. So, not much going on for us in an office connected to legal matters: employment tribunals.

In my younger days, Easter at home meant lots of hot cross buns and simnel cake. My Dad baked both for his small bakery and shop; people formed a line outside to get some of 'em! Dad baked wonderful stuff - a truly talented perfectionist in the bakery he was, bless him.

In the USA, at least in Oklahoma, Easter Monday doesn't seem to exist; Good Friday isn't much different from most other Fridays, apart from extra church services being held. Hot cross buns and simnel cake are not easy to find. I don't like American chocolate, so my old annual treat of a yummy Easter egg has disappeared. But still - it is Easter weekend so...

Wishing y'all, whatever kind of holiday you keep:


2 comments:

Wisewebwoman said...

Backatcha T. And of course it means rebirth as well - and I wish that for you.

Hot cross buns, I loved those and other Easter traditions like roasted lamb and Tenebrae Services which I attended for the week prior with my dad, very moving, choirs and darkness and candles in the church and Gregorian chant. Innocent times.

All gone now of course in the endless waves of scandals and abuses and a sort of shaking off of the chains that bound me to that strange cult.

I agree on the so-called "chocolate". Here they are obliged to label such things "chocolate flavoured".

XO
WWW

Twilight said...

Wisewebwoman ~ Yes, re Good Friday services, I remember once, back in the days when I was a church-goer (Church of England) one Good Friday, attending a service called (I think) Complin(e). It was moving, emotional, sad - I was quite surprised that our vicar had it in him to be so emotional.

Chocolate in the USA - bah humbug!!!