Monday, January 14, 2019

Music Monday ~ Three Musical Birthdays


I notice that three singers whose voices I'm always glad to hear were born this day, 14 January: Billie Jo Spears, Jack Jones, and Allen Toussaint. They are all of my own generation, born in either 1937 or 1938. Ms Spears died in 2011 and Mr Toussaint in 2015. As far as I know, Jack Jones is still oing strong. I was born in 1939 - amazingly I am still here too, albeit creaking a little around the joints.

A favourite track from each:










4 comments:

Wisewebwoman said...

St. James Infirmary is one of my faves.

XO
WWW

Twilight said...

Wisewebwoman ~ Mine too - all renditions. :)

Twilight said...

Received from the UK by e-mail from "JD"

I posted this a couple of years ago along with some other piano greats. This was Toussaint's last show in November 2015 at Teatro Lara in Madrid. He died a few hours after the show.

https://youtu.be/vKCMr8c70xE

I think he probably died a very happy man judging by that performance. I hope I can go out on a similar cloud of bliss :)

Twilight said...

JD ~ Thanks for this - yes, I agree! Allen Toussaint first came to my notice via a TV show (on HBO I think) several years ago. I liked him and his music so much that I bought a recent CD album of his: "The Bright Mississippi" - I listen to it often.