Tuesday, November 06, 2018

Store Dogs

One of the joys of meandering around antique stores, junk stores, flea markets and suchlike is meeting the pets of store owners. Cats are encountered frequently, always a pleasure to meet, but seldom do we get to know them well enough to enjoy their true personalities. Dogs...well some of them have such doggy charisma that it's impossible to ignore, even on such brief acquaintance. Here are three of our favourites met, or met again, during the past few weeks.



Jake, the junkyard dog. He's lovely, friendly, cuddly. I suspect he is either a younger sibling or the parent of the dog we met many years ago in the same junk store, it's located not far from home. I've never forgotten Jake's predecessor - we met him one very cold January day, on the way home from my birthday lunch. We shivered as we ventured into the store. Jake's predecessor immediately came and sat on my foot, leaned up against my leg. I was never quite sure whether I was keeping him warm or he was keeping me warm!





Curly. What a sweetie Curly is. We've met him twice on our travels in Kansas. His owner runs a very good antique store, Curly parades up and down the aisles keeping watch - but such a benign watch! He is always ready for a cuddle.



We met this beautiful trio just this weekend, when we stopped to investigate a store with flags announcing imminent closing down of the business. Husband saw the dogs first, came back to tell me I was in for a treat. Three gorgeous standard poodles. We didn't get a chance to ask their names. They appeared to be related. The poodle lying down seemed like the mature one of the family - blasé to the fuss made by customers. The all-black one and the white one are possibly young siblings, very affectionate to all-comers. The store owner was heard saying that if she doesn't bring the dogs to the store each day customers complain bitterly.

2 comments:

Wisewebwoman said...

Oh what darling animals. I was so lucky in that my dogs could be at work with me all the time, running my own business. I found they were great assets to my business as clients would talk to them first and even confide fears.

Lovely photos. Made my day :)

XO
WWW

Twilight said...

Wisewebwoman ~ Thanks, WWW - I should've included in the post that husband took those photographs, with a pocket camera. :)

I love meeting dogs who are affectionate and friendly - but then I love all dogs, more especially the bigger or sturdier breeds. The only breed I really do have reservations about is the Chihuahua, in general they just seem not to like me. :-/