Wednesday, March 07, 2018

Johnny & Jane ?...Really?

One of the silliest remarks I've seen in a long time (President Trump's utterings excluded) is this, from here:
“Scotch as a category is seen as particularly intimidating by women,” company vice president Stephanie Jacoby said in an interview with Bloomberg. “It’s a really exciting opportunity to invite women into the brand.”

Intimidating? Please! My mother was a Scotch drinker (her father, my grandfather, was also), I am a Scotch drinker. In the photograph, taken one Christmas long ago in Leeds, UK, Mum's brandishing her bottle of Bell's - I don't often see Bell's Scotch in the USA.

Johnny Walker isn't a favourite brand of mine, not because of the striding guy on the bottle label, but because I'm not keen on its flavour. The Famous Grouse, Cutty Sark, Chival Regal, Glenlivet are all more to my taste. The Famous Grouse was recommended to me by Gary, a Scottish work colleague, back in the UK, it's still the best reasonably priced brand I've tasted, but a tad more expensive than Cutty Sark, at least here in the USA.

Anyway...back to the point of this post.

Women are, and have been for years, seeking equal treatment, in employment conditions and opportunities, in equality of pay scales for same. Women need to know that, in their working environment, they will not be sexually harassed, and that sexual favours will not be necessary before promotion or fair treatment is metered out. These are all essential goals, and very late coming fully to fruition, at least in the USA.


Silliness such as Jane Walker on a whisky bottle, to my mind, is simply counterproductive.
I agree strongly with Heather Greene, a spirits expert and author, in a good piece at Forbes

Heather Greene told Forbes, “I have not seen any quantitative or qualitative data that show whisky-drinking women will respond positively to this type of branding. Women don’t want to be separated into this kind of silo. The trick is include them in on the conversation — and quite frankly this does the opposite.”


And
"Instead of the packaging of whisky, Greene would prefer to see the focus on increasing the role of women in the production of whiskies. “I am happy to see changes, but I will be supporting brands that have a more proven track-record when it comes to women distillers, master blenders or founders behind them,” she said. “There are plenty of them, and I want to reward them with my dollars. That doesn’t mean I don’t support great male-fronted and -made brands. I merely want more time from them to prove a commitment when they try to market to me. Let’s run up the score for the brands that have had some amazing female whiskey makers or blenders and let them shine for a minute.”
There is this compensating factor in the same piece :
For each bottle produced, the brand has committed $1 to like-minded organizations championing women’s causes, such as Monumental Women.

2 comments:

Twilight said...

From "JD" in the UK

Scotch? My father used to drink The Antiquary which is probably not available in the US http://www.theantiquary.com/
I rather like it too!
My choice of malts is either Cardhu or Ardbeg.
On the other hand, there is a strange brew in Spain called Whisky DYC which would make a very good paint stripper!

Twilight said...

JD - Hi! Oooh! Those single malts are a wee bit too posh for my taste! I avoid any brands that are 'peaty' or 'smoky' in flavour - have never acquired a taste for those.

Mum liked Bell's and Teacher's, Grandad liked Teacher's and Haig, oh -and there was one he often had with two Scotty dogs on the label, one black and one white.

Paint stripper varieties are probably available here in the US too - usually on the cheaper, bottom shelves of liquor stores. :)