Friday, August 29, 2008

Conventionally Climactic

Barack Obama's acceptance speech in Denver's Invesco Stadium, packed with over 80,000 supporters, a backdrop representing the Lincoln Memorial, had me wondering just how people living in poverty, worried, debts mounting, felt about last night's spectacle. As things are in this country it might have been more thoughtful and sensitive to their plight to keep things simple. But I guess this is "the American way". It's certainly Obama's way, kingly Leo sun proudly to the fore.

We all knew exactly was was going to be said, and repeated, and repeated again - at least those of us who've been paying attention did. I had to keep reminding myself....it's not about Obama, repeat: it's not about Obama. Even if HE thinks it is. To his credit he actually said to the crowd, "It's not about me, it's about you".

It isn't about Obama or Clinton or Biden. It's about those living in abject poverty in what is supposed to be the greatest country in the world. It's about providing health care for all, so that citizens don't have to bankrupt themselves to pay for essential operations and treatment. It's about attempting to slow climate change to make the world a safer place for all its inhabitants. It's about everything the Republicans wouldn't do. It's about every member of Congress, every Senate seat, every Representative. It's about getting rid of Senators like James Inhoffe who thinks global warming is a hoax. That's what it's really about.

While I fully understand and empathise with the many Clinton supporters who insist that they will not vote for Obama, saying that it's "principle before party" or "country before party", they seem to be missing the point about their fellow-citizens in distress. Principles will not put food on the table, and putting what they see as "country first" will not help to save the planet for generations to come.
UPDATE: While McCain's decision to choose a woman, Alaska Governor Sarah Palin, as his VP is a plus for women in general, the fact remains she's still a Republican, pro-life, lifelong NRA member, and in the event of McCain winning, falling ill or even dying, she'd have to step in. Never mind Obama's experience, what about hers? Governor of a remote state for a couple of years - is it enough?
In her favor (or perhaps not) she has Sun, Moon, Mercury, Saturn and Mars in Aquarius. While I like Aquarian traits, there can be too much of a good thing, and here you have it!


It was good to see and hear Al Gore again last night. He mainly reiterated the well-worn points about an Obama presidency, but managed to include some important remarks about climate change. I wished he'd said a little more on the issue, it hasn't been given the prominence it deserves during the campaign.

I shall learn to ignore the Obama Leo Sun, and that foggy old Neptune of his, concentrating on his Aquarius ascendant will get me all the way to the ballot box in November.

I hope people are keeping in mind that talented as these people are, they are public servants, not pop stars. American citizens are their masters - or should be. That's something oft forgotten in these self-congratulatory bunfights. Let's hope that the coming astrological atmosphere, Saturn in Virgo soon to be joined in an Earth sign by Pluto as it slips slowly into Capricorn, will bring 'em all down to Earth to face sobering truths.

What I'll find easiest and least irritating to recall from this week's events is Dennis Kucinich's speech - it was only 6 minutes long but he says everything I need to know, with his usual passion, courtesy of a powerful cluster of natal Scorpio planets. So... I'll leave with the one who brung me into this political season what seems now like an age ago - my early first choice, who echoes my last thoughts on this Democratic Convention:
"WAKE UP AMERICA!!"

6 comments:

Mandelay said...

I enjoy your columns and read your blog frequently. But I must disagree and I'd like to share my reasons. As a lifelong member of the party, I should have been voting for my Democrats this year. But this is the first time I've felt excluded and "slimed" for lack of a better word. To hear the word "racist" over and over as it was applied to people who dared to criticize our party's nominee is unacceptable. To see and hear over and over, the blatant sexism go unanswered by our nominee and by the DNC is unacceptable. (How would you like to have stickers with your face on them sold as "urinal stickers?") And finally, to have the old Roe v. Wade carrot and stick brought out once again to keep me in step while I pulled the weight of the cart of empty suits, once again, is unacceptable. When is the Democratic Party going to stick its neck out and bring the feminine energy to the executive branch? And why, in an age when conventions are planned years in advance, did the DNC's convention end on the night of the anniversary of MLK's speech? Go ahead, tell me it was "in the stars." I tell you, having been around politics for a long time, this was on the drawing board all along. Me? I no longer respond to carrots and sticks and I regret my days of having done so in the past. From now on, I walk an independent road. Thank you, Gov. Palin, for acknowledging Gerry Ferraro and Hillary Clinton (both labeled racists by the designer dress married to Barack) ... thank you Gov. Palin for reminding us of their place in history. Their own party trashed them.

Twilight said...

Hello Mandelay, and thank you for commenting.

I fully understand your reasoning, I shared it for a quite a while.
I registered as a new voter (new US citizen) a few weeks ago and registered Independent for some of the reasons you've stated.

Recently though I suddenly realised that my own feelings of disgust about the sexism, and veiled accusations of racism of the primaries really are very unimportant in the great scheme of things.

What is important is that something is done, and quickly about poverty, health care and the environmental problems we face. The republicans will not do it - or will not address these issues with enough vigour.

I have many doubts about Obama and the DNC, but as I keep saying - it's not about Obama. It's about putting things right for the USA, and the Democratic Party has to be the lesser of two evils. the country has had 8 years of the greater of 2 evils.

As for the Roe Wade thing - yes, it's hauled out as a kind of carrot - I'm really sorry I mentioned it. There are much more important things at stake.

That's my take on it, but I do appreciate yours.

Anonymous said...

I have to say I have followed Hillary for so long I rarely paid much attention to many others. Thank you for reminding me of Kucinich's energy and plain truth approach. I enjoyed watching Hillary and Obama speak at the convention. I am skeptical that Obama has a great event promoter on his payroll. I mean really, it was no mistake to move the date and place of this event to tie in the MLK and rockstar quality. Well planned, indeed. I am very proud of all the new things that are happening in this election year. Barriers are being torn down ... historical firsts and it seems that some hope is being restored. Let's hope the voters aren't split down the middle like they have been in recent past. Serious things need to happen for the American people in their own country by their own people and I think it will happen. Also, your Blog motivates me to pay more attention because of your story. You made the intentional and major change in your life to become a U.S. Citizen and it reminds me not to take being in this country for granted. Thank you. BC

Twilight said...

Well hello BC in Columbus! Nice to see ya! Thanks very much for your comment.

Yes the spectacle on Thursday night did look like the work of a pro. I hope it all turns out to have been worthwhile.

Thanks for you kind remark, BC.
I knew that things were pretty bad when I decided to come to the USA, from talking to people on-line. I heard som real horror stories about the health care situation. It was such a disappointment to find that Bush won again in 2004, just after we arrived.

For all my doubts anf grumbles about Obama, when it comes right down to it I could never vote Republican. As you say, let's hope there isn't a near 50/50 split this time - or any funny business involving the voting machines and voter registration - from either side.
:-)

Wisewebwoman said...

Times get stranger T: I just caught up with your posts.
From what I've read of Biden, he gives me pause. But Like you say, O/B ticket is the lesser of two evils. I am fingers crossed that there will be change but that old inner sceptic is thinking more of the same.
I do hope Al Gore gets some kind of post (Environment) and also HRC can re-present her universal health care project.
XO
WWW

Twilight said...

Hi again, WWW~~~~ It's good to see you back from your travels. You were missed!

Yes, all the right people are on the Dem side, even if the wrong one is at the helm - Al Gore, Hillary, Kucinich, Biden, Feingold, Sanders - all really good folk.

Biden probably has made a few mistakes along the way in his extensive political career, but my gut feeling tells me he can be trusted and I'm thankful he was O's choice as VP.

As for major change - I doubt it can possibly come in 4 years, barring catastrophe, which might bring it about. But even a turn in the right direction is better than continuing to plod on down the wrong road. :-)