Friday, August 15, 2008

Arts Roundup


WRITING

In June I took a look at George Orwell's natal chart. This week I was interested to note from a link at Citizen Wells blog, that there is a new blogging project afoot:
The Orwell Prize - "The Orwell Diaries" .

"From 9th August 2008, you will be able to gather your own impression of Orwell’s face from reading his most strongly individual piece of writing: his diaries. The Orwell Prize is delighted to announce that, to mark the 70th anniversary of the diaries, each diary entry will be published on this blog exactly seventy years after it was written, allowing you to follow Orwell’s recuperation in Morocco, his return to the UK, and his opinions on the descent of Europe into war in real time. The diaries end in 1942, three years into the conflict.
What impression of Orwell will emerge?
"


A website worth regular visits, methinks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PAINTING


To please any passing reader who might harbour a vision of a President Obama (I try to be even handed, even when it pains me) I pass on a link from Joseph Cannon's blog Cannonfire. The link leads to the website of American artist Ron Keas, whose current offering is a set of portraits of Barack Obama. The portraits are a mix of realism and surrealism - just right for a politician as shrouded in Neptunian fog as Senator Obama.

I'd love to take a look at Ron Keas's natal chart but so far I've discovered only his year of birth, 1943, which tells me nothing at all.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

POETRY

This poem, "Applied Astronomy", by Esther B. Tiffany, raised a smile. I wonder whether it would still work if slightly adapted and titled "Applied Astrology"? As I've never, in all my life to date, met a guy with even a passing interest in astrology, even less had a date with such a mortal, I wouldn't know.

APPLIED ASTRONOMY

He took me out to see the stars,
That astronomic bore;
He said there was two moons near Mars,
While Jupiter had four.

I thought of course he'd whisper soon
What four fold bliss 'twould be
To stroll beneath that fourfold moon
On Jupiter with me.

And when he spoke of Saturn's ring,
I was convinced he'd say
That was the very kind of thing
To offer me some day.

But in a tangent off he went
To double stars. Now that
Was most suggestive, so content
And quite absorbed I sat.

But no, he talked a dreary mess,
Of which the only fraction
That caught my fancy, I confess,
Was "mutual attraction".

I said I thought it very queer
And stupid altogether,
For stars to keep so very near
And yet not come together.

At that he smiled, and turned his head;
I thought he'd caught the notion;
He merely bowed good-night and said,
Their safety lay in motion.


(by Esther B. Tiffany.)


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MUSIC



Recently, my husband's son-in-law kindly pointed me in the direction of this song by Randy Newman : "A Few Words In Defense of Our Country". Text only lyrics can be read here.

The USA, over the years has been, and still is, much maligned both by a section of its own citizens and by many of other countries, mainly on the basis of its administration and/or president. The population at large is often included in the rancour, unfairly so in my opinion. Randy Newman's song isn't one of those schmaltzy flag-wavers, those don't impress me at all. Newman's song is fair, honest, and I suspect straight from the heart.



Randy Newman was born 28 November 1943 in Los Angeles, California at, Astrotheme tells us, 8.02pm. I'll add his natal chart here and point out just a couple of things, so as to prevent this post from stretching beyond reasonable length.



Randy has Sun, Mercury and Moon at 6, 16 and 25 degrees Sagittarius, opposing Uranus, Mars and Saturn in Gemini at 6, 15 and 24 degrees. This is interesting, the degrees are so closely matched! What does it mean? I'm not sure, exactly, but there's a very strong dynamic there between Gemini the sign of the communicator, and Sagittarius, the philosopher's sign. The words of the song featured above do fit that dynamic. Venus, the music planet is in Libra, one of its domiciles, so in good shape for a musician. Cancer rising represents a sensitive, thoughtful nature, though at times can seem somewhat withdrawn.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm Ron Keas, the Obama artist mentioned in this Blog. I want to say thank you for the kind words about my art. So many of the political blogs have nasty comments about my art. My birthday is 12/5/43 The same month and day as Walt Disney.

anthonynorth said...

Orwell was a far sighted writer. I wonder what his diary entries would be today if he were still around, seeing 1984 turn from fiction to fact.

Twilight said...

Ron Keas ~~~~ Hello! What a surprise! Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment, it's much appreciated. Thanks also for the note of your birthdate. I will write a post about your art and and photography, and your natal chart sometime next week, if that's okay with you.

I had a quick look at your photo slide show - those are absolutely beautiful! And though I'm not a fan of Barack Obama, I do appreciate talent (yours). Your painting featuring Marilyn is so good too.

Twilight said...

AN ~~~~ Hi!.
Oh yes - wouldn't THAT be something to see! Orwell's one of those accidental prophets, isn't he? I seem to remember writing a blog on the subject a while ago, mentioning Neville Shute and James Michener too.

So far, Orwell's diaries are just limbering up, and fairly inconsequential. I'll be interested to see what he has to say about the early years of WW2.

Ron Southern said...

I'm Ron Snot, an advocate of obvious intent. What the hell are you being pained about, anyway? I guess I don't read you enough to know the continuity like I should. Are you a commie? A born-again republican? A meat eater? A plumb fool? Can you be saved?

Twilight said...

Ron Southern - Hi stranger!

I've been meaning to hop over to yours as I hadn't received any Google alert thingies recently - but I've been a little preoccupied lately.

LOL! I'm a born-again indepentent, politically speaking.
Nothing on offer in the election at present inspires me one iota, especially the Democratic presumptive nominee. And I'm not a racist, in case that might cross your mind! I'm a realist. :-)

Twilight said...

Should read "independent" of course.