Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Fateful February Events

Yesterday, on the drive back from San Antonio through deepest Texas, a local station on the car radio reminded us that it was the 50th anniversary of "the day the music died", February 3rd 1959, when Buddy Holly, the Big Bopper and Ritchie Valens all perished in a plane crash. The station was playing music from the hit parades of that long-ago time for the whole day. Nostalgia reigned, until we were out of range.

When we arrived home yesterday evening I looked up planetary positions for 3 February 1959 in the ephemeris. Mars lay at 26 Taurus on that fateful day, conjunct Fixed Star Algol, thought of by ancient astrologers as the most malefic star in the sky; planet Mars was also thought of as a malefic, so here was double trouble. In addition, two other planets with somewhat challenging reputations were in trine, pooling their problematical potential: Saturn at 3 Capricorn, Pluto at 3 Virgo. A fairly worrying sky then!

As I listened to the car radio yesterday I read through some tourist literature we'd picked up in San Antonio and noticed that February 3rd 1836 was the date Colonel William Travis arrived there to lead the defence of the old mission-cum- fortress known as The Alamo, and block progress of Mexican forces sent to reclaim San Antonio and put Texas back under Mexican rule. By 6 March Travis, David Crockett, Jim Bowie and around 150 men died defending The Alamo after a seige of 13 days by the Mexican army, led by Dictator/General Santa Anna.

The seige of the Alamo is covered in a post from March 2007. We'd planned to visit San Antonio then, but postponed our trip. (See The Alamo Garnished With Astrology.) Interestingly Fixed Star Algol is also mentioned there; the star was very close to the Moon's North Node at the time of the Battle of the Alamo, which raged from Tuesday February 23 to Sunday March 6, 1836.

From our 6th floor bedroom window we could see The Alamo, right opposite....I hadn't booked "a room with Alamo view", as these cost quite a bit more, but we got one anyway. A little help from transiting Jupiter, which lay a degree from my natal Sun. A late birthday present from the sky!


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks just like it did in the movie, except I don't remember the streetlight.
What? No Davy Crockett hat?
Welcome back.

Twilight said...

Hi RJ~~ Himself was wearing the hat! ;-)

The Alamo was looking very well-preserved. I understand that it's largely re-constructed, with just small areas of the original structure remaining.

Unknown said...

Twilight, I'm not sure I like the "worrying sky" when you are describing my own birth chart. 3 Feb 59, that's me as well.....LOL.

My 50th anniversay was quiet as we are snowed in...or as the BBC now call it a "snow event". Have to say I thought that was downhill skiing or some other event in the Winter Olympics.

And of course yesterday was also Imbolc, the Midwinter festival or Candlemass if you are of the Catholic persuasion. We lit candles for my birthday dinner table to go with snow outside. I like to think we had all the bases covered.

Any view on the new Comet Lulin?

Twilight said...

Ah! Happy Birthday Rossa(belated but sincere!)

LOL! Well... 3 Feb. 1959 was a bad day for flying, but a good one for being born - of that I feel certain! Old Algol would look on you as one of his own, bestowing you with lots of passion and intensity. :-D

My oldest childhood best friend's birthday is 3rd Feb too. We sent each other a card bemoaning the passing of years but feeling pleased to have come thus far relatively unscathed. ;-)

I haven't looked into Comet Lulin yet - I'll slip into Google to see what's goin' on.

Wisewebwoman said...

Welcome back T!
I hope you are all rested (and warmed up!)
Interesting pic of the Alamo, I used to love the Davy Crockett song. Fess Parker? Can't remember.
Synchronicity on the posts!!

Twilight said...

WWW ~~ Thank you! San Antonio was lovely, and the weather much warmer than here - almost spring-like in fact. Spring-like enough to give me a dose of sneezy hayfever...lol!

"Davey...Davey Crockett king of the wild frontier" - Tennessee Ernie Ford was the singer, I think - not sure though.
:-)