Friday, February 20, 2009

"Am I, or are the others crazy?"

After a few nights of TV viewing recently, a quote from the great Einstein springs to mind:
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? "

First, a little good news:

On Jay Leno's late night show on Wednesday he interviewed Charlie Sheen. In passing Charlie said, "I'm a Virgo and like to keep things straight, know where everything is". I expected a sarcastic retort about astrology from Leno, but was pleasantly surprised when he responded, "I don't know anything about astrology, but I'm Taurus and I've been connected to five women all born on 5 September. I can tell if a woman's birthday is 5 September, just by looking at her."
Interesting . Maybe it's something to do with both Leno and the women being "well-earthed"!

Then the bad news:

I watched Alexandra Pelosi's documentary "Right America: Feeling Wronged" featuring Republicans in the USA, their views and beliefs. Alexandra is Nancy Pelosi's daugher. She has Sun in Libra. This is a nice example of Libra seeking balance. Alexandra, with her documentary, tried to right a perceived wrong, in that Republicans felt they were short-changed during the election season. They considered that Democrats were favoured by most TV channels and newspapers - "the media is too far left" was their cry. As my cry is "they're not far enough left", it's no surprise that I found comments by some of America's "ordinary" Republicans quite incredible, and pretty scary. There's an article about the documentary at Salon, here. We live in a town "on the buckle of the Bible Belt", in a state where not one single precinct polled a majority of votes for Barack Obama in the 2008 General Election. I ought not to have been surprised by some of what was said during interviews, but I was shocked!


Next evening we watched a DVD of Bill Maher's movie "Religulous". Seeing the DVD so soon after Alexandra Pelosi's movie, I truly felt as though I'd last year become a citizen of Bizarro Land.

Bill Maher seems to me to be eminently sane though. He has Sun in early Aquarius, a zodiac sign with the (I think) mistaken reputation of being eccentric. Being an early Aquarius Sun myself, I draw comfort from Bill's sanity, at least on the topics of religion and politics. I fell out with him briefly last year due to his sneers about Hillary Clinton. In "Religulous" though he speaks strongly, on several occasions, about the rights of women. So he's forgiven. My post about Bill's chart and "Religulous" from last September is HERE.
A review of "Religulous" from the LA Times is a fair assessment. Bill does go primarily for laughs, and interviews those people most likely to bring them forth. Underneath it all though, there's a very serious issue. As the reviewer says:
"The most interesting thing about “Religulous” is the sobering reservations Maher expresses about organized faith. When he talks about humanity figuring out nuclear weapons before we figured out how to be rational and peaceful, when he mentions religion’s power to direct men to destructive courses, even when he groans and says, “It’s so shamelessly invented,” he raises issues that could stand some genuine thought."

Speaking of sneers about Hillary Clinton - Chris Matthews was one of the worst offenders last year during the primaries. This week I happened to surf past MSNBC's "Hardball" and heard Chris declare how much he admires her, and that he has awarded Hillary Clinton a Hardball Award for "putting service to the country before self, being fearless...." etc. I don't remember the exact words. With three planets in mutable Sagittarius, I guess he's allowed to change his mind. Last year's post on Chris Matthews' natal chart is HERE.

It's a funny old world, here in the USA - funny peculiar, not funny ha-ha!

11 comments:

anthonynorth said...

On the US media being too left. As I see it, the most extreme left in America is just to the right of the UK's Right.

Wisewebwoman said...

Well said, T. "Not far enough left".
Sounds like you've been drenched in the 'barking mad' extreme Americans in the last few days.
PS Mr. Obama was an enormous hit here yesterday, even going so far as to try and pay for cookies for his girls at the market. Charmed the pants off us Great White Northies.
XO
WWW

Anonymous said...

'Bizarro Land' is right. (That's 'right' as in 'Right's of Man', not 'right' as in 'I'm a moronic American who still thinks George W Bush is the bee's knees').
Right?
;-)

Twilight said...

AN ~~~ That's just about correct, and the impression I've had from Day One. Most Americans have never experienced real (European style) left-wing politics, so think they are the work of the devil (literally!)
:-)

Twilight said...

WWW ~~~ Yes, it does seem that way. I plunged into both films deliberately in the attempt to find some tolerance. I can accept people who genuinely prefer a capitalist system for reasons they can explain coherently, but so many people here just associate politics with God and religion. It's just so frustrating when everything their party has done for the past 8 years has been the direct opposite to what the New Testament advises. Makes me want to tear my hair out in frustration.

I'm totally with Bill Maher on this, and though he gets a laugh out of it all, I think he's sincerely bothered by it.

Twilight said...

RJ ~~~ Yes, correct!
President Obama can try with all endeavour to bring the country together, but with people like the ones portrayed in these 2 films - it's a lost cause. :-(

Anonymous said...

I am unrepentently crazy.

:-)

Twilight said...

That's okay Robert - for astrologers it's a necessity - you are excused. ;-)

Shawn Carson said...

Hi Twilight,
Enjoying your cool website and articles. Appreciate that you are forming your own brand of astrology based on your own observations and experiences, as opposed to just regurgitating what you read in a book. Glad you moved to our country! We are practically neighbors, as I live in Wichita, KS.
Ever checked out your ACG map? Mine shows VE angular in London, and I had a most pleasant time visiting there. Seemed that everyone I met was friendly and engaging. Picked up on the accent immediately and kept it for several weeks afterward, even reading silently with a British accent!
The effects of ACG lines are experienced not only by going to those places, but also by meeting people from those places, wherever you may be.For instance, my parents hosted a foreign exchange student from Madrid one year. Within 90 days of his arrival, I bought my first home, my father died of a sudden heart attack at age 53, and all 3 of my siblings were served with divorce papers! TR Pluto was culminating in Madrid at the time of my birth.
Keep up the Great Work, Shawn

Twilight said...

Shawn Carson ~~~ Hi Shawn, it's nice to "meet" you!

Yes, you're directly north of us. My husband was born in Salina KS, and lived in Wichita for many years. We visited the city a couple of years ago. What I most remember are the sculptures along Main Street, and the complete flatness of the Kansas countryside I felt that I could feel the Earth turning when I stood and looked around the horizon. :-)

Thank you for your kind comments about the blog. I try to do astrology as simply and honestly as I can, using as much personal experience as I can muster. Personal experience is the key to it all really - it's the only way each one of us can be convinced of astrology's validity.

No, I'm not very familiar with ACG, though I have looked at a map using my birth data (at astro.com) and the Jupiter line falls quite close to where I am now - so I suppose that's a good sign. It's a subject I should study more closely - I'll put it on my list. :-)

Twilight said...

Shawn ~~ I've just seen your new blog - I don't understand sport myself, but other readers will, so I've put a link to yours in my sidebar. Hope the blog flourishes! I'll visit often.
:-)