Monday, June 04, 2018

Music Monday ~ Freddy Fender

Here's a singer, oft forgotten (but not by me). His birthday would have been today, 4 June. From first hearing him sing "Before the Next Teardrop Falls" many long years ago, I've loved his style.

Perhaps it's the 7% Iberian Peninsula discovered in my DNA that seems to draws me to anything Spanish-ish - or Portuguese-ish; I love Brazilian music also. I was immediately entranced by New Mexico, after my first visit there, and many more followed. I was in love with Tenerife in the Canary Islands (Spanish background). I also love Italian music and styles and flavours, and had suspected some Italian in my DNA, but nothing specific to Italy showed up. It appears, though, that "Iberian Peninsula" covers a lot of other ground in DNA land - even including Irish/Celtic strains. DNA land is a very strange land.

Anyway....from: https://www.astrotheme.com/astrology/Freddy_Fender
Freddy Fender (June 4, 1937 – October 14, 2006), born Baldemar Garza Huerta in San Benito, Texas, United States, was an American Tejano country and rock and roll musician, known for his work as a solo artist and in the groups Los Super Seven and the Texas Tornados. He is best known for his 1975 hits "Before the Next Teardrop Falls" and the subsequent remake of his own "Wasted Days and Wasted Nights".

Early years
By age 10, had his first radio appearance on Harlingen's KGBS-AM radio station, where he sang a current hit "Paloma Querida", on KGBT in Harlingen, Texas.
In January 1954, at the age of 16, Fender quit school and started a three-year hitch in the United States Marine Corps.

Remembering Freddy, on his birthday:







No comments: