Sunday, June 17, 2018

FATHER'S DAY

My own Dad died in 1992. He'd be amazed to know that his photographs are being sent into cyber-space, and to know exactly where his only child, his daughter, was sitting - in Oklahoma U.S.A - sending them winging out!

My Dad was the eldest son of 10 siblings, 5 male, 5 female. He had to leave school earlier than he would have wished in order to contribute to family finances. After a couple of nondescript jobs he acquired an apprenticeship to a local baker, eventually became a master baker himself, managed a group of bakeries in Hull during the war years. After the war he and mother never worked for an employer again, they remained self-employed, first building up and running their own small but successful and much sought out, bakery business. They worked so darned hard! Dad was up every day before 4 a.m. making bread, there were few rest days, few vacations. Mum ran their small bakery store. After around a decade they decided to move on to try other things, always remaining self-employed. What followed included a fruit and veg. store, a small private hotel on the coast, a tourist snack bar, a coffee bar with juke box. Then my Dad was accepted as a sub-postmaster and they went on to run some sub-post offices - mixed business stores combined with post office business. So my Dad, by the last years of his working life via a convoluted and very varied route, was able to do a job similar to that he had longed for as a schoolboy - to work in the post office or in the offices of the local railway company.




 Around 1990


 1980s


 1964/5

 1959

1948/9


 About 1947

4 comments:

R J Adams said...

Just luuuuv that 1964/65 hairstyle! ;-)

My Dad's still going strong at 102 (103 in September!) I'll sure miss him when he eventually goes.

Twilight said...

RJ Adams ~ LOL! That hair was mainly courtesy of a mischievous breeze, I think! Dad had Brylcreme (sp?) to plaster his own hair down. :)
102! My oh my! That is amazing! Here's to more strength, and several more years to him!

Wisewebwoman said...

I just love these photos, though I would disagree with the saying as not all fathers are like that :(

You were very blessed with such marvellous parents.

XO
WWW

Twilight said...

Wisewebwoman ~ Yes, I was blessed! And I agree that there are fathers who fall well short of good - or even decent. I'd like to think, though, that those are the exceptions, and hope too that what a child looses in that way will be compensated in some other area - by loving siblings, mother or grandparents for instance.