Thursday, December 22, 2016

It's All About You

Remember that old Seekers' song?

I could search the whole world over
Until my life is through
But I know I'll never find another you.


But Facebook and Twitter and other cyber associates have, it seems, managed to find lots of 'em.


They Have, Right Now, Another You

by Sue Halpern.

Discomforting ain't it? I doubt that it will stop the average Facebooker or Twitterer from Facebooking or Twittering though, or that they'd even stop long enough to think about it.

1 comment:

mike said...

It's not like I'm "worth" tracking, but I do take pains to prevent such. I'm not a member of the social-media sites, so no problem. I switched to DuckDuckGo search engine long ago, which doesn't track, because I became nauseated with Google's ever-present ads from prior searches on every blog page I visited. I've been using UBlock and NoScript to decrease my likelihood of computer targeting, data collecting, and malware-hijacking. I started these tool add-ons, because of some malware that was installed on my computer about six months ago, which was very difficult for me to diagnose, but I did! The malware was installed via Adobe Flash Player.

This website shows you all the data any website you visit can find out about you: your location, operating system, browser plugins, previously visited web page, local and public IP, service provider, social media networks you are logged into, devices on your local network, and more. The site also shows you how to hide any of this information that you don't want to reveal.
http://webkay.robinlinus.com/

NoScript is highly recommended. A donation is requested, but it's free-ware and is free to install. It takes a couple of days to get the hang of it, but well worth it.