Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Zodiac Sign Capricorn

It's difficult to make clear enough, in a short post, that when keywords for any zodiac sign are listed, they relate to the SIGN itself, and not to a person born when the Sun is in that particular sign. Keywords offer potentialities, not certainties. Separating the sign from the Sun sign, and potentialities from certainties is key to understanding more about astrology than simple horoscope columns can convey.

The Sun has entered Capricorn now. So, a few potentialities for people with either Sun, Moon, ascendant or any of the personal planets (Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn) in the sector of the zodiac we call Capricorn.

Cautious, economical, conservative, reliable, restrained, dogmatic, honours tradition, efficient in business, hard worker, practical, serious-minded.
So far Capricorn doesn't sound like a lot of fun does it? It reflects its ruling planet, strict old Saturn, of course, its element: solid Earth, and its modality: Cardinal go-getter.

What has to be remembered is that Capricorn's neighbours, Sagittarius and Aquarius will more than likely contain one or more personal planets when the Sun is in Capricorn, and the keywords for those signs are vastly different from Capricorn's. The mix of any of those along with a different Moon sign and ascendant has potential to brighten and lighten the nature of a person born when the Sun was in Capricorn. However, a decent helping of Capricorn in anybody's natal chart, no matter what sign the Sun was in, helps to ground that personality. Some Capricorn is always an asset in a natal chart, I reckon.

I have Mercury in Capricorn, fairly close to an angle, so it's a part of my nature, especially in regard to the way I communicate. The position of Capricorn, the sign, in your natal chart also has a bearing as to how strongly it'll feature, whatever planets may be within that sector. You need a reasonably accurate birth time to find the position of the signs in your chart though, but if you have that, then the signs near the ascendant (1st house) midheaven(10th house) descendant (7th house) and nadir (4th house) are considered prime positions for "coming through" in the personality, when emphasised by the presence of planet(s). For instance, say Saturn (Capricorn's ruler) happened to be in its own sign of Capricorn, AND very close to the ascendant or midheaven - then there'd be an excellent chance of seeing how Capricorn can come through very clearly in an outer personality. If the Sun or Moon happened to be close to Saturn's position too - an even better chance of seeing Capricorn personified.

I have always thought that because Saturn was also traditional ruler of Aquarius (before Uranus was discovered), the two signs Capricorn and Aquarius, odd as it may seem, have traits in common. Textbook-wise they couldn't be more different, but that has not always been my experience. I suspect that Aquarius is simply the Airy side of Saturn. These are neighbouring signs with the same traditional ruler, the only example of this in the zodiac. It's something worth keeping in mind.

4 comments:

Rossa said...

Interesting post Twilight as I have Saturn in Cap though at 3Cap and Asc at 17Cap. Some of the words associated with Cap do resonate...reliable, traditional, conservative (small c) in some things, efficient, practical and hard working.

However as an Aquarian I am most definitely not restrained, cautious, economical (though circumstances at the moment means needs must) dogmatic or serious.

And with my moon in Sag...well it's a real mixed bag.

And yes I am on the 'net Xmas Eve. Ain't going nowhere in the snow...another 4" today and more possibly tomorrow. We've had snow on the ground for a week now and may have some tomorrow. So it's just me and my Mum plus my 3 moggies.

Keep well and enjoy your festivities whatever they may be...venison for us!

Twilight said...

Rossa ~~~ My chart has similar contrasts - Moon Aries, ascendant Cancer, Sun Aquarius, Mercury Capricorn - yes, we're a mixed bag, alright - with variety in our potential traits which help to address all kinds of eventualities. :-)

A winter storm has hit our area this morning - wild winds, snow, hail, sleet, the lot! Looks like our planned picnic and outing (new tradition we devised) for tomorrow will be postponed. Never mind. As long as the power stays on we'll be fine. :-)

LOL! As I was typing this our lights went out and we went off-line! Back on quickly this time.

Warm seasonal wishes to you and yours, Rossa....& thank you for your visits here.

Candela said...

Capricorn Moon here. My mother was a Sun Capricorn, so Moon definitely has a strong symbolic meaning. I've always instictively bounded with Capricorn women, and children too. A little less with men, though I've dated a couple.

But truely understanding how my Moon works has taken me longer than realizing the effects of other astrological aspects on my chart. It only really became clear to me after my Saturn Return (Saturn is also inconjunct to Moon on my Natal chart). I now embrace my Capricorn Moon. It is squaring my Sun/Pluto in Libra, and causing considerable inner, emotional struggles. On the other hand, it's trining Mercury in Virgo. That gives me a cool head, especially when I'm under pressure. Had my Moon been in a less rational, down to earth sign, I would have suffered even more in my life.

Twilight said...

Candela ~~~ In spite of your struggles, Sun/Moon square could have advantages as well, I guess - no complacency or passivity allowed with that square! :-) I think Libra Sun Capricorn Moon is a good combo. Grant Lewi says "your driving force is great and you have a sense for the feelings and opinions of others that is an extremely valuable asset....." and that's a fairly unusual combination in one nature.
Pluto in your mix will make it even more powerful.