Thursday, December 24, 2009

For Christmas......

I came across this gem in the course of researching family history, and the area from whence my paternal grandfather is likely to have originated. A small village called Hemingstone in Suffolk cropped up from time to time in my studies and:
According to the 13th century Liber Feodorum (Book of Fees), the annual rent for the manor (of Hemingstone) was the performance of "unum saltum et siffletum et unum bumbulum" (one jump, one whistle, and one fart) at the king's court every Christmas.
In 1597 the entire parish was cited before a church court for laxity. This may have been the influence of the incumbent manorial lord, Ralph Cantrell, a recusant Catholic. (
Wikipedia)
Either local aristocracy in medieval times had more sense of humour than I credited them with, or Wiki is having me on! "Unum bumbulum" is now etched in my memory !

This Christmas, I recommend giving a mental jump, whistle and fart in the direction of those who would hold us down, communally or personally, and towards those in power who refuse to offer compassion to people in need.



Wishing everyone who passes by this blog from time to time, reads it or looks at the pictures, a healthy, happy and peaceful Christmas.





Blog hibernating 'til Monday.

4 comments:

Wisewebwoman said...

Athbhliain Faoi Mhaise Dhuit, a chara, agus Nollaig Shona Dhuit
XO
WWW
(Which is everything you wish for me right backatcha but in Irish.)

anyjazz said...

In Kansas we used to say "Swaller, Dollar, Cauliflower." But I have no idea what it means.

R J Adams said...

A very merry Christmas and happy New Year....rather belatedly, I'm afraid. I do all the shopping and cooking over the festive period, as my wife works long hours and deserves the rest, so it hasn't left much time for keeping up with the well-wishing.
Very best wishes to you and yours.

Twilight said...

WWW/anyjazz/RJ Adams

Many thanks for all your good wishes, in whatever language they came!

It was an odd sort of Christmas, as it turned out. My computer monitor gave out day before Christmas Eve - rushed out to replace it. A wild winter storm blew in Christmas Eve making it difficult to travel even a few yards, but with son of Himself's help we made it to the family get-together and back.
Christmas day was just like any other day for us, couldn't do our planned picnic up Mount Scott due to weather. Then the next day, 26th my computer picked up a really nasty trojan which took us all day to get rid of. LOL! What fun!

We're still marooned in the house, roads compacted with thick icy snow around our neighbourhood.

White Christmas? Bah humbug!!