Sunday, November 04, 2012

"WITH BUTTONS"

I'm stuck in election mode for a couple more days (at least):

Ringo Starr is quoted as having said "America: It's like Britain, only with buttons."

Is this (see below) what he meant?

I found this set of replica campaign buttons in a junk/antique store somewhere on our travels a couple of years ago. If they were genuine vintage buttons they'd be worth beaucoup $$$, but fairly worthless as they are, I like 'em anyway. Click on the first photo for, I hope, a bigger version. (I've also halved and enlarged the pic in case Blogger doesn't.)

From top row left they span McKinley 1896 ("Count Me for McKinley & a Full Dinner Pail") to Humphrey/Muskie 1968 at bottom row right.
The blurry button at top right is Bryan/Kern 1908.








2 comments:

Wisewebwoman said...

Buttons. I was thinking as in weskit (remember that word?) until you en"light"ened me.

*duck*

XO
WWW

Twilight said...

Wisewebwoman ~
:-D
They call 'em vests over here - I think.
I'm really not sure what Ringo meant - or if he'd meant to imply anything anything at all....probably not, just him being quirky, as was the Beatles' habit.
:-)