Sunday, May 09, 2010

TRAVELS

I'm half-way through John Steinbeck's "Travels with Charley. In Search of America". Charley was his French poodle by the way. John Steinbeck is a blend of Pisces/Aquarius/Capricorn with Moon in Scorpio, Leo rising. His love of travel, I'd say, connects to Jupiter (the travelers' planet) very close to the descendant angle. His chart is at an archived post of mine : Angry Writers.

My love of travel, I think, connects to my natal Venus in Sagittarius (the travelers' sign). The husband has Mars in Sagittarius and North node conjunct my natal Venus in Sag.....consequence is... we've decided to wander off again for a few days (late celebration of our wedding anniversary on 30 April.)

Plan as little as possible should be my motto (it's already the motto of Himself!) First thoughts were directed to a trip to Iowa to see the covered bridges in Madison County (and play at being Mr. Eastwood and Ms. Streep). The weather forecast in those parts doesn't look encouraging though - rainy. Sights moved towards Pueblo, Colorado and the surrounding mountains, Garden of the Gods etc. Forecast looked okay one day, then it all changed to some rain and storms. Third choice lucky? I've always wanted to go back to Alamogordo, New Mexico. We stayed there for a night in 2006. There was something about the "feel" of Alamogordo that attracted me, I felt strangely at home there. I've never forgotten that feeling - very odd! Weather forecast there and en route looks good. We'll investigate Alamogordo, then two little towns in the mountains close-by, and the Lincoln National Forest. Before heading back we'll probably tootle down to Las Cruces, not far from the Mexican border. That should keep us out of mischief for a few days.


A couple of quotes from Steinbeck's book, which I highly recommend to lovers of travel - and good writing:


When the virus of restlessness begins to take possession of a wayward man, and the road away from Here seems broad and straight and sweet, the victim must first find himself a good and sufficient reason for going.

A journey is a person itself; no two are alike. And all plans, safeguards, policing, and coercion are fruitless. We find after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; a trip takes us.







BACK IN A FEW....

5 comments:

anthonynorth said...

I like Steinbeck but haven't read that one. I'm like you - I hate to plan things too much. It never works that way anyway :-)

Twilight said...

AN ~~ Well we took off this a.m. and are now half-way to where we're supposed to be going.....so far so good! :-)

Wisewebwoman said...

I've taken many road trips over the years but the best have been with Grandgirl. And funny about that Steinbeck quote: we always say to each other,"We never find a place, a place finds us."
Enjoy your trip dearest T - I'm off to TO myself and will blog from there.
XO
WWW

R J Adams said...

Robert James has always been my favorite writer, and 'Bridges' an all-time good read, though I recommend his essays, particularly, "Old Songs in a New Cafe," if you're seeking true literary delight.
But, yes, Iowa is just next door and it's been very unsettled here in Illinois of late, so you're probably wise to head south and west.
Wherever, have a good trip, and a safe one.

Twilight said...

WWW and RJ Adams ~~~

Thank you1 Yes we had a lovely trip.

RJ ~~ I'll seek out that book, thanks for the recommendation!

Yes, we missed most of the severe weather, and when it caught up with us we were settled safely into a motel and not on a road in the middle of nowhere. )Iowa has been written in capitals on our list of "to do" trips. :-)