Sunday, November 08, 2009

Sunday Supplement ~ Horses, Wild & Others. (No astrology)

Following yesterday's post about Susan Boyle I got to thinking about the song "Wild Horses", her new single release. The song Mick Jagger and Keith Richards wrote back in the 1970s has a new sound for 2009. I've never been a fan of The Rolling Stones, so this song was new to me.

Rolling Stones version here.


Susan Boyle's version here.




Childhood living is easy to do
The things you wanted I bought them for you
Graceless lady you know who I am
You know I can't let you slide through my hands
Wild horses, couldn't drag me away
Wild wild horses couldn't drag me away

I watched you suffer a dull aching pain
Now you decided to show me the same
No sweeping exits or off stage lines
Could make me feel bitter or treat you unkind
Wild horses, couldn't drag me away
Wild wild horses couldn't drag me away

I know I've dreamed you a sin and a lie
I have my freedom but I don't have much time
Faith has been broken tears must be cried
Let's do some living, after we'll die
Wild horses, couldn't drag me away
Wild wild horses we'll ride them someday

Good lyrics linked to a distinctive melody - a song adaptable to a variety of treatments. There are other interpretations of "Wild Horses" - Wikipedia lists more than 20 of 'em. The Stones' version and Susan's are at extreme ends of a scale - rock and ragged at one end.....poignant and smooth at the other, from the same basic material. Proof of a good song, in the hands of good arrangers.

I think Susan Boyle was very well advised to sing this. Maybe it was her own choice, but somehow I doubt that she was ever into The Stones in her youth. The song has a bit of gravitas, famous pedigree, yet still sounds fresh in her interpretation. She gives the song, and herself, new life.



Thoughts of horses remind me that we have a couple Chez Twilight. This one a junk store bargain, acquired for very few dollars. It's not great art, but well-framed and the whimsical feel of it appealed to me. It's interestingly textured, nice background colour, and fills a big blank space in our bedroom rather well.



This one was painted by himself. It was lying around, part-finshed, in the garage for years, then suddenly he got the urge to paint again. The other day I decided we ought to give it a home in the hallway. It was drawn from a miniature model of an antique Chinese horse sculpture, and was going to be part of a trio of horsey paintings along with a carousel horse, and a rocking horse. The trio idea got lost somewhere along the way.


2 comments:

Wisewebwoman said...

I've never been a fan of the song but I must say the Boyle version brings new meaning.
Love both the horse pictures. Very talented hubby you have there, T.!
XO
WWW

anyjazz said...

Hey thanks for the kind words!

Chez Twilight is collecting lots of interesting artwork.