Monday, May 07, 2018

Music Monday ~ Official Birthday of New Orleans

La Nouvelle-Orléans (New Orleans) was founded in Spring of 1718 (May 7 has become the traditional date to mark the anniversary, but the actual day is unknown) by the French Mississippi Company, under the direction of Jean-Baptiste Le Moyne de Bienville, on land inhabited by the Chitimacha. It was named for Philippe II, Duke of Orléans, who was Regent of the Kingdom of France at the time. His title came from the French city of Orléans.

Back in 2007, as a paragraph in a general post about travel, I wrote:
"I've never been to New Orleans, another fabled city. Hurricane Katrina may have temporarily diminished the city's ability to shine, but I feel sure it will bounce back. I guess the best period for time travel to "The Big Easy" - the city's nickname, would be almost any time in the 20th century, until hurricane Katrina hit. Husband tells me that he visited the city during the 1980s. He reckons the best time for New Orleans is "whenever you're there". I think I understand."

11 years on, I still haven't been to New Orleans, sad to say. We've visited northern Louisiana, meant to go back and explore further, but for one reason or another (often weather-related) it didn't happen.

Happy Birthday New Orleans!






No comments: