Tuesday, May 08, 2018

Akashic Records an' All That

I haven't yet written a blog post about the Akashic Records, though the subject did come up in comments after my July 2010 post about past lives, part of a series about that mysterious something known by some as "woo-woo". That post began:
"This topic takes us waist deep into tangled woo country. In common with most other woo-type subjects, it offers opportunities for fascinating journeys into mysterious and mist-ridden mental landscapes. Nobody can possibly know for sure whether human beings have the capacity to recall a past life, whether their consciousness existed before this current sojourn here on Earth. Even those people who have experienced vivid flashes of deja vu, or under hypnosis have been able to reveal minute details of another lifetime, cannot be absolutely certain that what they experience is proof of past life - or something else."
At the end of the post, which looked into the old Bridey Murphy story of a past life remembered, commenter and friend Gian-Paul, living in Brazil, added interesting comments mentioning the Akashic Records, details later.


Wikipedia tells us that:
In theosophy and anthroposophy, the Akashic records are a compendium of all human events, thoughts, words, emotions, and intent ever to have occurred in the past, present, or future. They are believed by theosophists to be encoded in a non-physical plane of existence known as the etheric plane. There are anecdotal accounts but no scientific evidence for existence of the Akashic records.


At an old favourite website of mine, Library of Halexandria (link in sidebar) I found this:
In the vast majority of Life Readings given by [Edgar] Cayce, his source of information was ostensibly the Akashic Records. The Akashic Records, according to seers and others familiar with their alleged existence, are the indelible impressions on the fabric of the universe of everything that has ever happened. A channel may refer to this cosmic memory as a vast, non-molecular library, complete with a full understanding of each and every event in the universal record. In this respect, the Akashic Records may be likened to Carl Jung’s Collective Unconscious, or Rupert Sheldrake’s Morphogenetic Fields. In all cases, these collection of all memories, not only exist, but are accessible by anyone capable of properly tuning their mind-receiver. (These records may also be available even though one is not consciously aware that they are tuning in!)

Cayce’s normal mode was to simply visit the Akashic Records, as if going to the local library. In this way, he could answer virtually any question that might be posed to him. At the same time, there were occasions when Cayce was apparently not speaking in the first person, but was in fact channeling another entity. While Cayce never attempted this feat of performing as a channel or medium, there were apparently occasions when other entities did spontaneously speak through him. One notable example was John of the Revelation.

Edgar Cayce simply cannot be dismissed out of hand. There is simply too much credibility to justify a wholesale rejection. On the other hand, there is no a priori reason to accept all of his readings at their face value......

Yep - we're deep into woo-woo country here! My mind goes to a scene in the movie "Interstellar". Towards the end of the film, the astronaut, having navigated a wormhole, discovers what's described as a tesseract, a seemingly never-ending grid from which any segment of time and experience can be accessed - a kind of library of records, in fact. Was that a modern version of the Akashic Records - I wonder?


Anyway, here's what Gian-Paul had commented in 2010:
Reincarnation/past lives: I have given this quite some thought. In some kind of flash, one day when I was reading about Edgar Cayce, it struck me that what the Hindus call "akashic records" may help get to the truth. Such records, I thought, must not necessarily be restricted to the past. If destiny is pre-ordained, they may as well already contain the future, or the present. Cayce may have had the ability to see exactly that, the present state of health and, if it was an illness, it's future evolution and cure for it.

Consequently the same records (misleading term as records refer to the past only), could be accessible to a person like your Virginia [the real life Bridey Murphy], even if they had nothing to do with her own past - and also and foremost - if reincarnation does not exist at all. The person having such a vision, or a "déjà-vu" impression, may be able, quite unconsciously, to tap into the "akashic record" of SOMEBODY ELSE, but believe it was him or herself.

If my theory is true, it would explain why in haunted places the same ghost appears to different people. The defunct who died (usually of a violent death), left some "readable" psychic imprints at that place and some people visiting are subsequently able to read them. One can even wonder if the Monster of Loch Ness had not actually existed and the reported sightings were not readings by some more sensitive people of the "psychometric records" left by the monster in a possibly very distant past?
My reply:
The theory appeals to me. There's no way of proving such "records" exist, but it'd explain so much that is mysterious if they did.
I wonder if the ability to tap into the "records" (supposing they exist) would be shown in a natal chart. One would not necessarily need classic psychic skills, perhaps, though these could assist in deliberate attempts to access th "records".
Involuntary/accidental access could depend upon a quirk related to natal Mercury or some rare combination of factors in a chart.
Gian-Paul:
I think that access to the type of psycho-records I mentioned is a "reserved domain". Must be. Imagine if modern science (and money-money behind) got hold of that. Nothing would be safe anymore. Manipulation would turn extreme.

Me:

Yes, of course. It makes sense that if some "repository" such as the akashic records (or something similar with a title more in line with today's chaos theory, string theory and what have you) would be in a place practically inaccessible to the human brain - except maybe by accident.

Wisewebwoman added:
Of course, T, there is also "cellular memory" and I have a fascination and done some research on this topic myself.
Our forbears leave us other than our funny noses ;^)
I've had some experience with this myself.
I had read (with some scepticism admittedly) the story of Bridie [Murphy].
I didn't see the movie but must at some point.
Interesting case study.
Me:
Yes, good point, WWW - cellular memory. That's something else to keep in mind as a possible explanation for some instances of past life recall, and even instances of child prodigy too I suppose.

Gian-Paul:

Wondering about "reservoirs of inspiration": where do composers, writers, inventors get their stuff?

Have some experience with inventions, made recently my third one. And truly I have no idea how these ideas come about. Quite a few inventions have happened at the same time in different places over the past. And are well documented. Is there an overall "Plan" permitting the release of ideas which will influence evolution? By asking, I guess, I have answered.

Astrologically and subjectively in my case, the last invention (about oil - spills) came when Neptune started transiting my natal Mars in Aquarius. Uranus/Jupiter also were entering my sun - sign, Aries.

Have to look up the transits of the first 2 inventions. But the point is not my personal history here, it's that if inventions, compositions, songs, fashion (s) come about, there appears to be some coordination, to say the least.

Me:
What you describe is yet another mysterious phenomenon.
It almost seems that there is a pattern going on. Similar developments throughout history, arising in different parts of the world when, back in early times, there was little or no means of communication.

Life (and astrology) is built upon patterns (mathematical?) So maybe we shouldn't be surprised about this pattern as life and consciousness evolved, and discoveries were made. Astrologers do usually link Aquarius and/or Uranus to invention and inventors. Perhaps there's something in the brain chemistry of those with the sign or planet in certain positions or configurations astrologically, that enables the native to unconsciously "dip" into the pool of information which could be an offshoot of those Akashic records mentioned above.


Last thought: Good - I hope this is true!

8 comments:

Wisewebwoman said...

Fascinating stuff, T. And of course I am reminded of the definition of insanity and watching all our politicians, my own included, repeating and repeating the mistakes of other regimes.

We are dim bulbs, truly. I grow more cynical with each passing year.

The Age of Enlightenment has rolled on by us.

XO
WWW

Twilight said...

Wisewebwoman ~ Yes, we appear to be boxed in to a pattern that is beneficial to only the few. If Akashic Records are truly "a thing", I wish some medium/psychic would tap into 'em and do something properly useful with the knowledge that has to be hidden there!

A Casual Reader said...

Hi Twilight

I'm hoping that you enjoyed a happy 14th Anniversary!

RE: Ghosts

It all comes down to belief, for me. If you open yourself to the possibility of there being ghosts, you'll be more likely to experience one - and I did - in Central City, Colorado, in early 1981. It's a long story, so I won't go into it. All I'll say is that 'the ghost' was a trickster who scared the bejesus out of me one solitary night while I was living in an old house on the main street there. About two months later, after someone else had moved in and I had moved out, it happened to them, as well. That person called me immediately on the phone and asked if I had just been in the house. I wasn't, but I understood right away what had happened.

I can't tell you 'the truth' about what happened, but I know that it happened to me and that I'm still always wary of talking about it. Do you know how most people will look at you if you tell them? I learned that lesson the hard way. Nothing like the sudden loss of credibility in other people's eyes. It's something you never forget.

As for "reservoirs of inspiration": I remember reading an interview with the 60's pop-star Donovan who talked about having an idea or melody passing him by on the wind. He said that if he didn't grab it, then and there, it would continue on its journey and perhaps George Harrison might catch it downstream. I liked that idea. It's kind of like tuning into a particular radio station - and there are a million of them all going on at once. We're all listening, but tuned in to different wavelengths.

It's a wonder that any of us get along.



Twilight said...

A Casual Reader ~ Thank you! Yes we did enjoy the day, went out for lunch, but waited out some stormy weather before venturing on some short day trips later in the week.

I enjoyed reading of your ghostly experience. Yes, I see what you mean about opening oneself to possibilities. Perhaps that applies also to astrology - once the mind is open to it, one sees it (or some of it) at work.

I also recognise, very well, that wary feeling on talking about certain topics to certain types of people, in regard to loss of credibility. I'm that way about astrology! It irks me. There are so many skeptics around, and they are so flippin' adamant in their views, and can be quite rude. I have skeptical corners in my own astrological thinking, but those skeptics have complete and utter blackout.

I like the thought of melodies flowing like rivers through space and time. It could link also to the phenomenon of musical (and other types of) prodigies - who come along now and then to astound us. And it could also weave into the old Akashic Record story and/or the newer tesseract ideas, possibly string theory too (which I don't understand so had best not mention further). :)

Twilight said...

Received by e-mail from the UK, from "JD"

Had to laugh at the Wiki entry: 'it is not scientifically proven' as if that were the only valid form of knowledge.

I am currently reading this book which is fascinating - https://www.florisbooks.co.uk/book/Gary-Lachman/Lost+Knowledge+of+the+Imagination/9781782504450
Or should I say, I am re-reading it because it is full to overflowing and needs to be assimilated properly. Lachman used to be Gary Valentine, the bass player in Blondie.

Two more blog posts to fizz your brain are-
http://consciousnessunbound.blogspot.co.uk/2018/05/an-afterlife-singularity.html
http://consciousnessunbound.blogspot.co.uk/2018/04/hilarious-hopelessness-wisdom-of-john.html

You might need to go and lie down after that lot :) Especially the John Cleese one which is very funny.

Twilight said...

JD ~ Many thanks for your recommended links, which will be carefully perused by me.

Yep, "not scientifically proven" is such a handy coverall for lazy or closed minds, isn't it?

R J Adams said...

I'm afraid, like WWW, I too grow more cynical by the day. I'm now convinced death spells the end of life - totally. No reincarnation, no 'moving to another plane', no anything. Depressing? Not in the least, I'm more than happy with the arrangement. One life is enough for me. Sorry, Ego, you'll just have to get used to it! ;-)

Twilight said...

RJ Adams ~ On some days I feel that way myself, and on other days I still wonder. But yes, one life is going to be enough for me too. I suppose we'll be part of the earth or air though, depending on how they dispose of us. :)