Thursday, April 19, 2018

Bicycle Day

Filed under "Trivia":

Today, 19 April, is Bicycle Day - as Sir Michael Caine would say, "Not a lot of people know that!"


"Bicycle Day does not, as one might expect, celebrate the ubiquitous two-wheeled mode of transport, beloved of city- and country- dwellers alike the world over. Rather, it celebrates a particular historical event that involves a trip on a bicycle.

‘Trip’ is the operative word here, as Bicycle Day commemorates the first time Dr. Albert Hofmann intentionally took Lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD) having accidentally discovered it three days previously. Following the deliberate 250mcg dose he started to feel a little odd, so decided to ride his bicycle home. What happened on that trip would lead to LSD becoming a very popular recreational drug – not without its problems though, which is why taking LSD is not a recommended way to celebrate Bicycle Day.

Instead, why not read Ken Kesey’s One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest while listening to ‘Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds’? Trippy, but perfectly safe."
From https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/bicycle-day/

3 comments:

Wisewebwoman said...

I remember my first bicycle and where it took me, so many adventures I had with her, by myself a lot of the time. Those days one could disappear with a sandwich and a bottle of milk all day.

Later I'd transport my gang, all on board her, out to watch the trains.

memories.

XO
WWW

Twilight said...

Wisewebwoman ~ Yes, I too loved to ride my bike! I was little use in team sports, but give me a bike and I was good to go - for as far, and as long, as possible.

A Casual Reader said...

Having a bike was a sort of like a kid's version of owning a car. It meant a certain kind of freedom to travel the world (of your neighborhood, anyway) and sometimes, even miles beyond.

Also, Ed Balls Day is coming up on the 28th. It isn't too early to begin decorating and planning your festivities.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/28/ed-balls-day-how-the-former--shadow-chancellor-became-twitters-f/

I hope things are well with you, Twilight.