Friday, August 17, 2012

ODDS & BOBS

Is this a glyph I see before me? ~~~
I caught sight of a new poster while surfing around the net, one of a new set created by artist Juan Ortiz for the episodes of Star Trek. This is the poster for the episode titled The Way to Eden:





Is it my imagination or, if turned upside down, wouldn't that be almost the same shape as the astrological glyph for Uranus? If so, any connection to Star Trek would be exactly appropriate, Uranus being the only planet with connection to the future and futuristic technology. I could well be "late to the party" here, never having been a fan of the Star Trek series back in the day - perhaps this Uranus glyph connection has been well-known for decades? Anyone know?



Other posters from the set can be seen HERE, with some comment by the artist. Another poster showing a similar glyph-like symbol is that for The Ultimate Computer episode.



A trio of pearls from astrologer Jayj Jacobs' Codswallop Detector. , which can apply to anyone and anything - not only to astrologers and astrology.

Authoritism: The dual beliefs that if it's in print it is true & that famous people are always right ('authors' are de facto 'famous'). The more famouser the more righter. "If I haven't already read, or heard of them, they are nobody, and know nothing."

Lalalalogy: The belief that more lyrical sounding something is, the truer it is. The prettier the poem, the truer the message. It is assuming that the pleasant prevails, and that "The truth rhymes."

Spuriousism: The assumption that if you can make it seem to work for you once, it does indeed work - and must be used by everyone.



I'm impressed by the quality of some of the murals we see on our travels. Here are a few samples, all from husband's camera. In the first two I managed to insert myself into the shots, which may not enhance them at all, but at least it gives an idea of the murals' scale.

Outskirts of Wichita Falls, Texas.



Muskogee, Oklahoma (as in Merle Haggard's song Okie from Muskogee)



Can't recall in which small town we saw this one




Tucumcari, New Mexico (on Route 66 as was).



Tucumcari, again....



Hot Springs, Arkansas



Columbus, Ohio.






What I suspect will be a must-see movie due for release on 26 October: Cloud Atlas, an adaptation of the award-winning novel by British author David Mitchell. The movie will star Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Hugh Grant, Jim Sturgess, Ben Whishaw, Jim Broadbent, Hugo Weaving among others, and is said to run over 165 minutes.

Cloud Atlas tells six separate stories that span time and place - from an American travelling back home by ship after a sojourn in New Zealand in 1850, to a post-apocalyptic tribesman living in the remnants of what was Hawaii in the distant future. The actors play multiple parts.

From the trailer below it looks fascinating - might have to get me the book in preparation.






My favourite from Husband's vintage photograph collection - it's just a small snapshot around 3 by 4 inches, but special. A commenter on Flickr rightly described it as "a magical capture into a lost world."



Those were the ODDS....here come the BOBS:

I do benefits for all religions - I'd hate to blow the hereafter on a technicality.
Bob Hope

It's getting harder and harder to differentiate between schizophrenics and people talking on a cell phone. It still brings me up short to walk by somebody who appears to be talking to themselves.
Bob Newhart

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.
Bob Marley

Come you masters of war
You that build all the guns
You that build the death planes
You that build the big bombs
You that hide behind walls
You that hide behind desks
I just want you to know
I can see through your masks.

Bob Dylan

4 comments:

James Higham said...

Do like that parrot/lorrikeet. They were all good.

Unknown said...

Just reserved a copy of Cloud Atlas from the library. At 500 pages it's going to be a long read but the write up and reviews on Amazon (UK) are good overall.

Though it'll be a while before the film is released over here, I'll be interested to see how the film deals with the six strands in 164 mins.

Twilight said...

Ja,es Higham ~~ The parrot mural is still there, bright as ever after several years. :-)

Twilight said...

Rossa ~~ Hi! Oh! Let me know how you get on with it, please Rossa.
500 pages is a bit of a marathon read for me what with my ADD (brought on by internet reading no doubt). I will read a book that long, and longer, but it has to really grab my interest.

I suspect, from what I've read about the story so far, that the book might be a big help help to the film-goer who might flounder among shifting timelines and plots. :-)