Friday, July 29, 2011

WEEKEND GRAB BAG ~~ CONFIDENCE



Confidence. From Latin root word fidere - to trust or have faith. Noun = fides. Secondary roots fid, fide, feal, feder. In modern English we see them, for example, in: confide, confidence, bona fide, federal, federation, confederate.











Confidences by Pierre Auguste Renoir




Astrologer C.E.O. Carter on self-confidence , from his Encyclopedia of Psychological Astrology:


Self-confidence is chiefly dependent upon a prominent Mars, although it may come from almost any planet if the same is strong in the ascendant or is the ruler of the horoscope. The Moon, Venus and Neptune are the least self-reliant, Neptune has much to do with inferiority complex.

A prominent but afflicted Mars causes too great self-confidence, especially is he is square the Sun without a strong Saturn as counteragent. In the former case there is often cocksureness and a tendency to take any risk, and often for a long time the native's adventuousness seems to justify itself. Aries prople very rarely lack self-reliance.........
















Anyone who ever gave you confidence, you owe them a lot.
— Truman Capote (Breakfast at Tiffany’s)


I have great faith in fools
- my friends call it self-confidence.

~ Edgar Allan Poe




Confidence tricksters, or con-artists are like magicians, it’s all about sleight of hand. They are confident, convincing and, beneath the surface, conniving. A con man approaches his mark with a mixture of colourful small talk and self-aggrandising, so that the mark will be taken in, will come to like him, and will find him impressive. In making himself seem important, the con man seems to flatter us with his attention. His patter is practised, rhetorically fluent and infectious. He rushes us from one impression – one piece of vague information – to another without ever pausing for breath. Before long he has us hooked, having made himself an influential presence in our lives. (See here).


Painting by Hieronymus Bosch - con-tricks have been around for a long time!



List of Top 10 Famous con men.

A while ago I had the bright-ish idea of doing a post, or several, on confidence tricksters and their astrology. Unsurprisingly, others have beaten me to it already. One interesting example: "Asteroid Bilk" by Alex Miller is at: http://www.daykeeperjournal.com/aarch09/0908aug/alex2.shtml





The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a big lie than to a small one.
Adolf Hitler


The men the American people admire most extravagantly are the most daring liars; the men they detest most are those who try to tell them the truth.
H.L. Mencken




Stepping back into history, for the Romans, fides was an essential element in the character of a man of public affairs, and a necessary constituent element of all social and political transactions ('good faith'). Fides meant reliablilty, a sense of trust between two parties if a relationship between them was to exist. (See here)
In Roman religion, Fides was the goddess of trust. Her temple on the Capitol was where the Roman Senate signed and kept state treaties with foreign countries, and where Fides protected them. She is represented by a young woman crowned with an olive branch, with a cup or turtle, or a military ensign in hand. She wears a white veil or stola; her priests wore white cloths, showing her connection to the highest gods of Heaven, Jupiter and Dius Fidius. Her temple which can be dated to 254 B.C.E was near Jupiter's temple in the Capitol. (Wikipedia)












Confidence... thrives on honesty, on honor, on the sacredness of obligations, on faithful protection and on unselfish performance. Without them it cannot live.

Franklin D. Roosevelt








4 comments:

Anonymous said...

GP: Believing mostly in personal experimenting of astrological phenomena I can confirm C.E.O. Carter in that Neptune is not conducive to self-confidence: I have it on my MC. Until the day I moved for good to Brazil, where according to Astro-Cartography Pluto replaced Neptune on my MC. Things changed quite drammatically, almost overnight!

Twilight said...

Anonymous/Gian Paul ~~~

Interesting GP! Though with your Aries Sun I doubt you'd ever have been totally lacking in self-confidence.

I can't relate much at all to the astrological side of this. I can't even decide whether I've always lacked self confidence or that I've always just thought - "what the heck - "I'm me - take me or leave me!" I've always been a tad shy though, a bit of a loner, but still confident in my own abilities. Peculiar mix. ;-)

Wisewebwoman said...

I wish I had more of it, T. My astro says I do but I honestly don't like being in the limelight (like I will tonight) but I love the recognition and the one-on-one meet 'n greet after. But centre stage? Moi? Uncomfortable.
XO
WWW

Twilight said...

WWW ~~~ Hope all went well last night!

Our natal charts are not the whole story, as you have no doubt gathered. We have to also consider the background into which we emerged, life experiences, and a slew of other side-factors. Even then there could be some surprising outcomes....short circuits, etc. etc.

So even when confidence is in our blueprint, the building of a personality doesn't always match the blueprint exactly.....whatever astrologers might say :-)