Saturday, September 30, 2006

Astro-twins - again.

Although I've been unable to find out more about the life history of W. Brugh Joy, my nearest astrological twin, I've been able to discover a little more about Germaine Greer, whose birthday is 2 days after mine, consequently many chart placements are closely similar.

In an excerpt on amazon.com from an unofficial biography of Germaine Greer written by Christine Wallace, titled "Germaine Greer Untamed Shrew", it is stated that when GG was born, her mother had a very difficult delivery. The baby was born bruised about the head and in a torrent of blood as the mother hemorrhaged. Germaine was an only child, mainly because of the difficult delivery. My own birth was spookily similar, my mother declined to have more children because she had been in danger of losing her life at my birth, which was followed by a serious hemorrhage.

The biography excerpt covers only GG's early childhood in a middle class family in Melbourne, Australia. Her father went to war in 1942 and returned much depleted in strength and attitude. This must have been very sad for the little girl to countenance. Her home was far from any danger from the war, however. She knew little of the war, other than visits of American servicemen to her home.

My own childhood environment doesn't follow the same pattern.
My father was a master baker, working as foreman in a large bakery in an English city port . Due to a minor health problem and the fact that he was in a "reserved occupation" he did not serve in the armed forces, only in the Home Guard. In the city where we lived , a big port on the east coast of England, the war was never far from our doorstep - literally. German bombs exploded all around our home regularly, our windows were shattered from the blasts and replaced by thick tar-paper. We narrowly escaped with our lives on more than one occasion. During the worst of this period I was sent to stay with my maternal grandparents in the country, in relative safety, some 20 miles distant. From the bedroom window there, at night we could see the fires in the city after bombing raids, never knowing whether my parents had remained safe. They did survive, and I rejoined them just before the war ended.

Whether these differing childhood experiences could account for anything, or nothing in our later lives, I know not. There is little or no similarity, later on in life, as far as I can gather, other than the fact that neither of us has ever borne a child.

Perhaps there is a very vague connection (at a stretch) regarding her obsession with feminist matters. I worked for 24 years in the UK civil service in the department which deals with employment law - The EmploymentTribunals. I was a manager on the administrative, rather than judicial side. Some of the tribunal hearings we dealt with concerned sex discrimination, sexual harrassment in the workplace, or equal pay.
I suppose I was helping, in some very small way, towards making sure that the rights of women in the workplace were not trampled underfoot. This is a far cry, though from GG's somewhat loud and exaggerated stance on feminist issues.

Is this the difference between a northern hemisphere Aquarian and a southern hemisphere Aquarian? The southern exaggeration, the loudness, the lack of any tact or diplomacy, the dogmatic droning on about men and their faults. It's almost as though northern Aquarian traits have come under a bright spotlight and magnifying glass.

I don't know. I need to look for more evidence.

No comments: