Monday, April 22, 2019

April's Cruel Side

Around this time in April, in several past years, I've posted listing some of the best known dark deeds coincidentally all happening in mid-April. My 2013 post went like this:
It never ends does it? Man's inhumanity to man. The dreadful events, deaths and horrible injuries in Boston yesterday are the latest addition to a blood-soaked list of tragedies here in the USA, and let us not forget, in countries abroad - some at our own hands.

I've written before about the darkness of this month in recent US history: 19 April 1995, the Oklahoma City bombing when 168 people, including children, died at the hands of home-grown terrorists; then the shootings at Columbine High School, Colorado on 20 April 1999; and April 16 2007 was the date of the Virginia Tech. massacre when 32 people were killed by a gunman, fellow student of those he murdered.

There's no rational explanation for this growing cluster of horror in what ought to be a happy and optimistic time of year, long winter behind us, trees greening - but .......

And in despair I bowed my head;
"There is no peace on earth," I said;
"For hate is strong,
And mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!"
(From Longfellow's Christmas Bells)

In 2010 I wrote the post accessible at
https://twilightstarsong.blogspot.com/2010/04/cruellest-month.html.

These and others can also be accessed via the label cloud in the sidebar, by clicking on "April Events".


In 2019 April is keeping up its cruel reputation: Notre Dame on fire; attacks in Sri Lanka with at least 290 people losing their lives.

On a very personal level (and these pale into insignificance on a world wide scale):
On 23rd April 1992 my father died.
On 21 April 1996 I and my late partner lost everything we owned, except the few clothes we were wearing, my purse and our car, in a fire which consumed the apartment in which we'd lived for 24 years.

This year I found that the lumpectomy carried out a year ago wasn't sufficient, so I underwent full mastectomy left breast. That still wasn't sufficient, so a few days ago I underwent re-excision mastectomy and learned that the right breast ought also to be removed in the near future. As I said, insignificant in the great scheme of things, but a bit wearying for yours truly, again, in a month that promises renewal and all things bright and beautiful.

Let us hope, very sincerely, that future Aprils will not continue in this pattern!

Postscript - The post's title uses a thought from T.S. Eliot's poem The Wasteland.

2 comments:

Wisewebwoman said...

Boy April has been particularly awful for you. I remember your prior posts on this.

April 1971 I had the loss of my beloved mother but April also saw the birth of my first born. So a mixed blessing.

I am hoping your surgery is behind you soon and goes well, nothing like the worry and exhaustion of this, it must be so difficult for you.

XO
WWW

Twilight said...

Wisewebwoman~ Thanks WWW - yes exhaustion is catching up with me I think. Trying to rest more, and telling myself "One day at a time...." I hope to have the drain removed from left side later this week, that'll help a bit.

I have an appointment for what's called a Wellness Interview this morning, with GP. It's something all seniors (Medicare patients?) have. Fred has his last December, mine was originally fixed for end of January, but has had to be postponed twice or 3 times since then... due to....lol! Wellness? There's a wedge of forms to fill in and take to the interview - most of them deal with stuff where I'm "good" or "excellent" as compared with many others aged 80. The first page has had to be re-done 3 times, updated with all current adventures!