Monday, May 22, 2017

Music Monday's Story of Persistence Paying Off



Leading character in The Founder, a movie we rented on DVD last week, stated at the end of the film, when asked what was the secret of his success, as good advice for anyone looking to do likewise, said: "Persistence - persistence is what you need!" Wondering which song might echo that thought for Music Monday, passing over Taking Care of Business, I thought of Aerosmith and Steven Tyler and Dream On:

Every time when I look in the mirror
All these lines on my face getting clearer
The past is gone
It went by, like dusk to dawn
Isn't that the way
Everybody's got the dues in life to pay
I know nobody knows
Where it comes and where it goes
I know it's everybody sin
You got to lose to know how to win

Dream on
Dream on
Dream…


The Founder: a bio-pic on Ray Kroc, they guy we have to thank for the spread, and spread.... and spread of those famous, but now oft despised, Golden Arches.

Michael Keaton plays the man himself, and does it with the subtlety and skill his fans have come to expect. We enjoyed the film. Perhaps Mr Kroc was dealt with in too kind a light in places, for he did leave behind him a few broken hearts - and yet, one could also see how things might have been different, if... lots of what ifs!

Ray Kroc said he owed all of his successes to his persistence - dreaming on in face of huge difficulties, he reached even further than I suspect even he had ever dreamed. I couldn't dislike him from this depiction, though had a different actor been in the leading role, I might have felt differently.

I knew Ray Kroc's story before seeing the movie, having researched and written a blog post about Kroc several years ago, and posted it more than once, in 2007 then in 2012, see here:


http://twilightstarsong.blogspot.com/2007/10/ray-kroc-and-mcdonalds.html

and
http://twilightstarsong.blogspot.com/2012/05/mcdonalds-born-today-in-1940-propelled.html


“I like people who level with me and speak their minds. I always say exactly what I think; it’s a trait that’s gotten me in trouble plenty of times, but I never have problems getting to sleep at night with a guilty conscience. That’s why I could never be a politician”


I never considered my dreams wasted energy; they were invariably linked to some form of action. When I dreamed about having a lemonade stand, for example, it wasn't long before I set up a lemonade stand."

-- Ray Kroc

No comments: