Thursday, December 13, 2012

"Inconsequential things that men don't really care to know....."

"....Become essential things that women find so apropos......" so goes the song by Neil Hefti and Bobby Troup from the movie Harlow.

Apropos of not very much:
#1
I noticed, in casting my eye down Wiki's list of births for this day, 13 December through the years, two names with a coincidental, inconsequential link, the kind I like best!

Born 13 December 1925: Dick Van Dyke
Born 13 December 1929: Christopher Plummer
A word linking those two actors: Nanny. A name? Julie Andrews, aka Mary Poppins and Maria Rainer (later von Trapp).

Small things...........!





#2
We're a day late and a dollar short (again) getting into TV series The 4400. It ran from 2004 to 2007. We've just watched DVDs of the first season, enjoyed it a lot.
When two actors I once blogged about as look-alikes showed up I was first confused, then surprised, when the two appeared in the same scene arguing with one another. In a post a couple of years ago, I'd exclaimed about their facial likeness, along with a third similar-looking actor. I'm adding a slightly edited version of that 2010 post below. Facial likeness of these actors still fascinates me - inconsequential things often do.



Facial features can be arranged on a human being in a limited number of ways, so it's surprising that we don't notice more look-alikes. Outside of family resemblances, which are to be expected, there aren't too many people with facial likenesses strong enough to confuse us. There are a few though - I came across an instance recently. In an episode of Boston Legal, we couldn't decide whether one of the characters was being played by an actor we knew from Eureka. "He's broader", I kept trying to convince myself...."the Eureka guy is slimmer built....but....erm...he could have put on weight for the part".

Colin Ferguson who plays the sheriff in Eureka, and Mark Valley of Boston Legal, Human Target - and Fringe were the two who originally had me confused. There's a third guy who could be added to this particular look-alike list: Joel Gretsch of The 4400.

From the top: Colin, Mark, Colin, Mark, and Joel.







Astrologically, appearance is said to relate mainly to the rising sign - though I would guess that Sun and Moon signs, or any sign heavily emphasised or strongly placed on an angle, could also influence looks. I've personally come to recognise a limited number of astrology-related facial/physical features in people I've met. Gemini:wiry or skinny, bony face; Capricorn/Aquarius/Saturn: a definite look with regular features (hard to describe in words); Cancer: round face, tending towards chubbiness; and of course the famous magnetic Scorpio eyes, and the lustrous Leo hair.

Without times of birth, without knowing rising signs and Moon placement for the three guys mentioned, it's not possible conduct a proper investigation into whether astrology has any bearing on their facial likeness.

Colin Ferguson - born 22 July 1972, Montreal, Canada.
Mark Valley - born 24 December 1964 Ogdensburg, NY.
Joel Gretsch - born 20 December 1963, St. Cloud MN.

I've compared 12 noon charts for the three and can find only one point of (almost) convergence between 28 Sag and 2 Capricorn: Colin Ferguson has Jupiter at 00 Capricorn, Mark Valley has Sun at 2 Capricorn and Joel Gretsch has Sun at 28 Sagittarius. If their rising signs were somewhere around that area it'd be amazing!

There's a non-astrological possibility for the likeness too, though I've no evidence to support it: Scottish ancestry. The look they share has a definite Scottish flavour.

And...acknowledging the song quoted at the top of this post, Julie London, wife of co-composer Bobby Troup, sings it here:


15 comments:

Sonny G said...

not sure if I should say this:) but heck, why not. there is another astrological issue which associates with the human form- males in paticular..
their umm, male appendage can almost to the milimeter be gauged by the combo of their sun/ascend. I know this becuase I have noticed in on several occasions personally- which then made me ask all my gal pals about thier personal experiences and for the birth info of their partners.. it ended up being several hundred samples and sure enough- its a teller rarely without error.

mike said...

@Sonny: Well, I think my fingers are average...lol

Twilight, I think you should invest in some facial recognition software like Homeland Security uses. Are you going to have "man talk" tomorrow, things that men don't really won't to know?!

Twilight said...

Sonny ~~ Now that's something I've not heard before! I've heard/read that penis size equates to one of the following: shoe size, nose size, ear size. The sun and (lol)ascendant is a novel idea. How though? Do we take the degree of sun and ascendant, add them together and subtract the number we first thought of....or what? Is it connected to sign or planet?
Come on Sonny - this is not enough information for enquiring minds! :-D

Twilight said...

mike ~~ Good idea - I'll watch for any Homeland Security close-outs on e-bay. :-)

Man talk? That'd be football, baseball, huntin' shootin' fishin' - things that this gal don't really care to know.....so I'll give that one a miss, Mike. :-)

Vanilla Rose said...

Well, this conversation is taking an unexpected turn of events. Thank you, Sonny!

Sonny G said...

Twilight..
I looked on your sidebar for anything you'd posted on John Boehner , didnt see anything. If you have done a post about him, could you point/link me to it.. If not and when you might have time, could you look at his chart and share your thoughts..

thanks so much..
Sonny

Twilight said...

Sonny ~~ I haven't ever even looked at his chart, Sonny. Sometimes I get a kind of "repelled" feeling about a person and don't care to look into their astrology - he's one of those.
Silly, I guess.

My esteemed fellow blogger Jude at Stars Over Washington did a post on him and his chart in 2010 - here's a link

http://www.starsoverwashington.com/2010/09/natal-chart-of-john-boehner.html

If you'd still like me to take a look I'll certainly do so, though.
:-)

Sonny G said...

thanks for the link Twilight.

I go there and see if I find what I'm looking for.

I tried 7 sites I googled and no one seems to have a time of birth..

the Libra moon they all list certainly reinforces my ideas about his wishy washy nature which probably turns tyrannical in the blink of an eye..
thanks again for the link.

Wisewebwoman said...

Bruvvers from anuvver muvver? :)

As to appendages - I will leave that to your good research, T!
And do share!

XO
WWW

Twilight said...

Wisewebwoman ~~ Well...who knows? They're more alike than any brothers I've seen - apart from twins. I'd bet on some Scottish/Celtic ancestry somewhere in their family background, maybe long ago, maybe not.

I shall keep you updated should any new and amazing sizing information comes to light. :-)

Vanilla Rose said...

Someone should cast those actors as brothers in something.

Vanilla Rose said...

This religious guy annoys me: http://www.secularnewsdaily.com/2012/12/fischer-god-didnt-stop-ct-school-shooting-because-hes-a-gentleman-who-doesnt-go-where-he-is-not-wanted.

Vanilla Rose said...

Sorry, wrong thread.

Twilight said...

Vanilla Rose ~~ Good idea!

Twilight said...

Vanilla Rose ~~ I'll copy your comment to the right thread.